Quaint but usable rear suspension.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A German made longtrack bike from the 1950s. See how the swing arm is controlled.

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Is the upper part of the rear suspension(the part attached to the top tube), is that spring steel cause I'm not seeing a hinge. There has to be some spring to this cause leverage says this bike should be on the ground using just the riders weight. It is very cool though. I like the tank on that too.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There is a plate going between the upper tube and a hidden lower one. The end of the swing arm has rubber suspension loops attached, which fit to the lower rear of the alloy plate.

The tank is speedway/long track and you can get them easily enough. Long track versions hold more, speedway only needs enough for a few laps of a 1/4 mile track.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You find awesome speedway stuff, Ludwig. I expecially liked the Husky speedway fork with the rubber suspension. Pity that speedway racing was never widespread in the us.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You never really needed t, you had your homegrown sideways. I'm surprised you never seem to have had something like grass track though on the big flat open spaces. No need for a special track. Just take a big roller round a half mile oval of pasture and rope it off.