20 Inch Occ Schwinn Stringray 5 Speed?

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
i've seen a guy on ebay make a 20 inch O.C.C schwinn stingray hub a 5 speed and charge 80 bucks for it, i would like to make my own. I am wondering what it takes and how to do so. does anyone have any ideas on how to do it,its a fat hub and i don't know how to add the gears let alone how to make it fit with in the frame.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The only 5 speed internal gear hubs I'm aware of are the old dual lever Sturmey Archer and the Sachs with the click box.
For simplicity, I'd use an axle mounted derailleur. It's much cheaper too.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Brettmavrik set his Occ up with a 5-speed cluster and a deraileur. It was easy. The sprockets thread on. Use a punch and hammer to knock the original, single sprocket, freewheel loose from the hub. Thread the 5-speed cluster on. You will need to spread the rear of the frame about 3/8" so that you can put the wheel back on.

If I remember correctly the deraileur bolts right on without any modifications.

I you are after a 5-speed pedal bike, I don't think the whole change-over will take more than a few hours. Freewheel swap, add a deraileur, alter the chain length, and mount a shifter.

If you want a shifter set-up for your engine, it get's more complicated.

Jim

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
thanks for the help jim, but what if later on down the road i want to run a jackshaft/engine shift kit like brett's? the way you said if i wanted to do this it gets a bit more complicated has me worried,would i have to use special derailurs or sprockets? i know how to cut chain and master link it (god only knows if it will hold up under load from an engine tho!)

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
You're welcome,

Brett uses BMX chain and an SRAM Deraileur...it held up fine.You'll have to ask Brett about the other hardware bits to do a jackshaft...I wasn't really paying attention when he put it together. If you have the tools, it's a fairly easy thing to do. The tools to make one will cost more than buying it already made. I think Brett is planning on selling the jackshaft unit...you'll have to ask him.

Jim

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
OK well i tried to do the gear swap and it was A NIGHTMARE! first off i wouldn't recommend this to anyone with out the proper tools to pull the hub/cassette apart if its used parts, mine were jammed on real good. Also,fyi, the outer ring that you need to unscrew to take the gear off is reverse threaded,so loose is to the right! i came to find out the hard way that the OCC Schwinn Stringray rear hub has all loose ball barrings with no cage to hole them in,so take your time pulling it all apart over a drop cloth or something cause i spilled out at least 40 little ball barrings all over the place and there is gonna be no way your not going to spill any attempting this!
(at least this gave me the time to repack my barrings and hub assembly)

so anyhow, i had 5 various donor rims from 10 speeds and mountain bikes,it all came like the OCC hub packed with little ball barrings that went all over the place when you pull the gears off! in the end,all the parts would not fit and im completely disgusted with even trying to attempt this. i almost lost enough parts that my original Schwinn hub would of been useless.

i would love to know which bike has the right sized cassette of gears that will accept on the OCC Schwinn hub, the only thing i found out to be interchangeable was the axle lol!

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
You're doing it wrong......
You are trying to disassemble the freewheel and take it off in pieces
while it is still attached to the wheel. It is supposed to come off in one piece.

Some freewheels come off with a special Freewheel Tool, while the cheapies that were not meant to come off, do not..... the OCC has a cheapy installed.

Solution:

1. Tack Weld the Freewheel in Four Places Around The Outer Edge Of The Freewheel.
This takes the "FREE" out of the freewheel, and joins the outside with the inside that is screwed onto the wheel.

2. (This is the fun part) Unscrew the Cheapy Freewheel.
(Yeah Right! As if it were that easy!)
Time, Rust, and Force has screwed this freewheel so tight on the wheel
that it is very hard to remove, but it can be done with logical thinking.

Options:

A. Leverage is your friend- Weld a "cheater" bar to the freewheel that is 4 feet long, and then secure the wheel so it doesn't move. It should walk right off without damage to the wheel. Be careful on HOW you secure the wheel. I like to leave the tire inflated, and then ratchet strap the tire to something sturdy.

B. If you have a nice sized bench vise, you can squash the freewheel in it by the teeth, with the wheel hovering over the vise. Then do your best impression of trying to turn the steering wheel of a stalled out Semi-Truck until it loosens... =-]' (my favorite, as I am quite fast at it)

C. Carefully Secure The Wheel, and then CAREFULLY, use a drift, shaft, steel dowel, driver, etc. with a BFH, and gently (not really gently, but carefully so you don't hit the spokes of the wheel) tap the teeth in counterclockwise fashion to unscrew the freewheel. ( BFH = BIG FRIGGEN HAMMMER )

Side Note: when tacking the freewheel, wrap a soaking wet old towel around the wheel so you don't scorch it with flying hot molten weld dingleberries.

3. Screw On The Brand New 5 Speed Freewheel. (aww, see? was that so hard???) =-]'

HTH
'Brett

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
You cannot use BMX chain on a multi-speed freewheel.
You have to use 3/32" chain. BMX chain is 1/8".

Yes, I do make the Jackshaft Kit for OCC's.
It comes complete and ready to bolt on with
the perfect gear ratio for the OCC and a 5 speed freewheel.

It sells for $199

You're welcome,

Brett uses BMX chain and an SRAM Deraileur...it held up fine.You'll have to ask Brett about the other hardware bits to do a jackshaft...I wasn't really paying attention when he put it together. If you have the tools, it's a fairly easy thing to do. The tools to make one will cost more than buying it already made. I think Brett is planning on selling the jackshaft unit...you'll have to ask him.

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

Narleys

Aug 29, 2009
Oroville
I am going to put 3 speed hub in place of the jackshaft that will give me 3 gears you put a sprocket were the spooks go to the motor and thr drive sprocket to t5he rear wheel