Electric an Option?

GoldenMotor.com

bling.blaine

May 15, 2009
Ann Arbor
Hey, I'm new here and had a question for those of you with some experience...

I'm looking at modifying my 70's racing bicycle that I ride around campus, but I think a weed whip engine would be loud and obnoxious, so I wanted to look at some electric options. Basically where would I be able to find an electric motor powerful enough to propel me (185 lbs, and my bike) about 20-30 mph, and what would I use as the power source? Would an electric trimmer and a car battery be strong enough? I don't have much experience with attaching electric motors to bicycles and was just wondering if anyone had some tips. Thanks

oh my bad, I just found the electric section, i'll read through there.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It really depends on how much money you have to spend. You can find a hub motor to propel you 20 or so mph.....

You can find light weight lithium batteries to get you good range, it's all about you requirement vs the money you bring to the table.

If you want to buy a conventional motorbike already built, I hear a lot of good things about the I zip from Walmart.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

bling.blaine

May 15, 2009
Ann Arbor
Thanks, and really, its not about the end product as much as getting there, I just wanted a fun summer project to work on, so I'll pass on the Walmart one. Maybe I'll just go gas, the city is pretty hilly and a gas one might be better. Plus, Im not exactly made of money, so cheaper is better.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if you get the gas one,you will probally want to keep it in the garage or porch outside,
they have a strong smell of gas/oil.

thou i have to keep it in my livingroom,my neighbors in my apartment building of atleast 100-200 people would strip it clean or damage it. i close the choke,cover the aircleaner and gas cap,it helps with the smell,but doesnt get rid of it comepletly.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Thanks, and really, its not about the end product as much as getting there, I just wanted a fun summer project to work on, so I'll pass on the Walmart one. Maybe I'll just go gas, the city is pretty hilly and a gas one might be better. Plus, Im not exactly made of money, so cheaper is better.
If you want cheap a happytime with an additional muffler will probably fill your requirements.
I believe sick bike parts sells an additional muffler for there happy time tuned pipe kit.
Use the vented cap when riding .
To get rid of the gas smell get a better gas cap one that does not vent.,
About a block away from home shutoff the petcock to empty the carb fuel bowl.
Park the thing outside for about a half hour to cool Locked to a fence or a tree .
When cool bring it inside where you want to store it overnight Place the non venting gas cap on the fuel tank.
I have done this to park my happytime inside once in awhile.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
I will say that electrics are getting there. If the cost comes down we won't be burning fuel much longer. Here are a couple of videos of some super hot electrics.
YouTube - The fastest e-bike. Speed 120km/h ( 75mph)
And here is a home built.
YouTube - PKRippervideo2
YouTube - PKvideo
The bike in this YouTube - The fastest e-bike. Speed 120km/h ( 75mph) video is my dream e-bike with 2 packs its like $3000! And I still would want your jackshaft and china gurl on it.