What's yours

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Money be darned, If I had plenty, I would buy a full suspension bike with a 600 watt 36 volt front wheel drive hub motor and a lithium polymer 40 ah battery.

So what combo electric would you want money be darned.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Deacon--Some one posted a sight that sells motors with 3,500W made for scooters.
So 3,500w on a trike with enough lithium polymer batteries to do a 150 mi trip.
I'd also like to be younger,rich and far better looking.
Think chances are better the trike will come first.
Steve

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Deacon-- With that kind of trike we both would be at the fountain of youth in fine shape
and I'll bet in a real hurry.We'd be lookin good doing it too.
Steve.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Deacon--Some one posted a sight that sells motors with 3,500W made for scooters.
So 3,500w on a trike with enough lithium polymer batteries to do a 150 mi trip.
I'd also like to be younger,rich and far better looking.
Think chances are better the trike will come first.
Steve
Got a link? I have a 4 stroke I'd love to convert to electric. Darned thing won't take me over 32 mph on the flats anyway. Electrifying it won't make much of a difference, but this ebike thing is addictive. I want to put an electric motor in everything parked in my yard. laff

Money be darned, I'd like to build a tandem that can do up to 35 mph up hill without pedal assist and cruise all day. Same with my daughter's bike and my work bike. Probably the biggest front hub motors available and several Li battery packs. I'd like to catch the big surf out North Shore this winter without having to drive in the parking lot on big days. Be nice to take the family out and take in a picnic along the way.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Here is my thinking on speed components, now this probably is not accurate at all, it's just the feeling I get.

An electric motor without any load pulls very few amps and could run all day at top speed on even a small ah battery. It's when the motor actually does work that it pulls the amps from a battery at an shocking rate.

The wattage of a motor is more about speed under load than top speed. Its about how long a 3000 rpm motor will turn at that or similar rates while under a load. Ie hill climb ect. and the rate that it bleeds speed or bogs down. High the watts the slower it will bog down.

Top end speed will be more about the rpms of the motor and gearing, than about pure watts of the engine.

The reason I think this is the two bikes I have. The hub motor is less watts but has a slightly higher top end. While the pusher has more watts and climbs hills better. The way to increase the speed on the pusher would be to have a motor that ran at higher rpms, use a smaller sprocket on the drive wheel, or use a larger drive wheel.

Any of the above would cause the bike's ability to hill climb to drop. I like the hill climb but wouldn't mind being able to run with local 'in town' traffic.

So in my opinion you need a bike that has high rpm, the right gear combination, and high watts to maintain the power on hills. Higher rpms probably means more battery. I saw a motor on ebay that ran with like 10,000 rpm at 48v... 5000 at 36volts...2500 at 24volts. I assume that brushless wheel hubs act the same...

If I bought a 'cost be darned' hub motor, I would want to compare the rpms not just the watts. They tell me on an ebike forum that there is a good chance I could add more battery with a higher capacity controller. If the same rule applies as to the brushed motor above I could run 36volts and it would double the rpms.

I do NOT planning to do that. I would much rather just wait and pick up a 36V hub motor with higher rpms.

By the bye, there are two used hub motors on ebay today. There is a good chance that they will begin showing up there. If the guy was disappointed in the motor, and I expect most are when they do a cost benefit analysis, it would probably be in good shape. Even if it had a failure, it would most likely be in the controller or throttle rather than the motor itself. Anyway just some random thoughts probably worthless but none the less there they are.

ps if my thinking is wrong feel free to correct me I love to learn new things...

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Deacon--My limited knowledge of electicity says you are right.I think it also involves the amount of volts going into the motor as well.
I would think 3,500W would be a bit of over kill. I suspect the reason most hub motors seem to peak at 1,000W is anything over that is too much or to hard to get into the space allowed. They seem to just increase the voltage.
When we go to the fountain of youth on the 3,500W trike it will be just for show.
You don't need to worry about insurance. You will be driving.
With best regards,Steve.

metalmaster

May 16, 2009
S.E. Tennessee
custom built recumbent frame with full suspention with crysatlyte phoenix brute 7240 hub motor in the rear. 72v 40ah lifepo4 pack and a full canopy. Gona dream might as well dream big.

Jim