bikes used in willy wonka

GoldenMotor.com

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Was watching Charley and the Chocolate factory and was curious what were the delivery messenger bikes they used. Did a search and found they were "VeloSolex" French made. Well now you know:confused:

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I ran that bike thru Photoshop and tried to enhance the photo some so we could see it better. Looks like a front friction drive but check that rear hub.
It that a drum brake?
Neat bike.
Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dave,
Are you talking about that lump in the front fender that's low down. You might be right. I'm wondering about that air cleaner looking thing behind the saddle.
What the H*** is that?
Tom

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Why yes I do. Sorry guys I haven't been around much lately, with it being winter and a bunch of personal stuff going on, I haven't had much chance to get to my bike like I would like to. The Solex is a great bike but honestly I don't ride it much. For me it lacks the cool factor that I get when I build a Chinafire bike and its top speed is only 20mph. Mine is a late 1979 and everything is all original including the tool kit that is built into the rear rack. The engine is a 49cc 2-stroke friction drive. The wheels are very well built with heavy gauged spokes and drum breaks. As a "large" bike guy the frame construction as a bit scary, the whole thing is press formed steel that is bolted together but seems to be solid. The Solex is the most reliable and smoothest running bike in my stable and the thing is amazingly quiet. The first time I rode this thing, I was thinking that it might ride funky being front wheel drive, this actually wasnt the case. The hardest part about feeling comfortable on this bike for me is that it is small compared to the rest of my bikes and with the small wheels the steering is a little twitchy, this is quickly overcome. If you guys have any more questions just give a shout...Kelly

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
The Chineese makes a copy of this type of engine. "Made in China by Hongdu Nanchang".
A guy here in Sweden started to sell them a couple of months ago. I tried to post a link to his online store but it wouldnt work.

Google this and you may find it "Hongdu Nanchang 49cc"

(Hi all, I'm new here and will fill in my 'Introduce yourself'-thing when I'm not working...)

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
What's funny is I was just watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night and was wondering the exact same thing, haha.