spark plug wire info

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
older CDIs with the thin mounts unscrew easily - newer CDIs with the thick mounts need to have old wire dug out of the glue that holds them, after that they screw in/out easily

still don't know if there is a good way to suppress speedo interference without causing weird ign weaknesses

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
The CDI box has a screw in it? I'm gonna go check that out real quick. I know the boot has a little screw in it. I bought one of those NGK bp6hs plugs. It's bigger than the stock three plug one. It works well so far. Haven't messed with the stock gap of it yet.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Mine must be one of those "newer cdi's" because it feels pretty stuck in there. I got one of those kits from gasbikes.net a grubee gt5 made in 2012.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
It's glued in. You could try some nail polish remover or acetone to loosen the glue. Or just twist it out like I did and use a pick to get the left over pieces. Don't pull it out straight, you'll probably rip the screw out too.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I I disagree with you bikenut, I've been running a 6mm Mopor Hemi suppressor wire two year with NO magneto failer ever. Before I got the Jaguar and on it as well. !!!!

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Here we go again. Do a search in norm's repair. Buyum books sendum to school...................................:..

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I I disagree with you bikenut, I've been running a 6mm Mopor Hemi suppressor wire two year with NO magneto failer ever. Before I got the Jaguar and on it as well. !!!!
I agree that suppressor wires, and caps are not a main cause of magneto coil failure, they're only a supporting factor. Wide spark plug gap combined with high speed operation is a bigger factor.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't see how a mag can fail. It's, for the most part, solid state. The only thing i can think of would be the magnate losing charge.
What's fragile is the magneto coil. The windings are very small gauge wire, and can't handle much current, or abuse. A good way to burn one up is, run a wide spark plug gap, use suppressor wires and cap, and run your motor at high rpm in hot ambient temperatures. The best way to avoid trouble is keep your plug gap small, like about 0.025".

The CDI box OTOH seems pretty dependable.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
What's fragile is the magneto coil. The windings are very small gauge wire, and can't handle much current, or abuse. A good way to burn one up is, run a wide spark plug gap, use suppressor wires and cap, and run your motor at high rpm in hot ambient temperatures. The best way to avoid trouble is keep your plug gap small, like about 0.025".

The CDI box OTOH seems pretty dependable.
And where are the windings located? I haven't done much research on it as I haven't had issue. That was it the coil wires are coming off of?

I think my gap is like .030 or something. lol

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have had my bike engine 3yrs now with that wire posted in #1 and no problems and a B6hs plug gaped at 28.No magneto problems at all it's been Through a lot .I have also been running a 3watt headlight off the white wire for 2yrs now. There was a time that I thought the magneto was going to go out but I'm still running it , got wet with a fuel mixture from leaky seal. So what ever works. I believe there no set and stone when these china parts and engines goes bad. It's a big crap shoot. I also got about 2k miles on it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
And where are the windings located? I haven't done much research on it as I haven't had issue. That was it the coil wires are coming off of?

I think my gap is like .030 or something. lol
The magneto coil is under the left side engine cover.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Gotcha. How do you fortify it? I like overkill. I know something about winding your own...
So far the best thing I know to save them is keep your spark plug gap around 0.025".

I used to run 0.035" gap. It wasn't ever a problem till I got 2 Flying Horse 80 kits that run 8000 plus rpm. In every case when a coil failed it was during a long ride at very high rpm. I was also running a suppressor plug cap at the time, but I can't really say if or how much that may have contributed to the failure. Lets just say it didn't help anything.

After closing the gap to 0.025" I haven't lost a mag coil since, and I don't feel there was any decrease in performance either.