Easy way to change oil on 49cc four stroke, without getting oil everywhere...

GoldenMotor.com

Poopyboogin420

Feb 4, 2011
Montana
Hello,
I need a way to change the oil on my 4 stroke without getting oil everywhere. I have tried funnels, making a channel out of sheet metal to guide it into the pan, and just let it drain through everything( which was a horrible idea). I have thought about tubing or something, but I figured I'd see what you all have done to avoid spilling used oil everywhere.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
im prone grease monkey myself

i use a fluid hand pump it was maybe 5 bucks at harbor freight most auto stores have them .

i do get a couple drops here and their but nothing unreasonable .

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I bought a funnel with a flex hose attached, I put the funnel under the drain plug and angle the flex hose to drain into a plastic jug, then open the drain plug. The flex hose also makes filling back up convenient, since I don't have to finagle the funnel to keep the oil from spilling out.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
On every 49cc engine, there is a bolt right at the base of the engine (carb side), below the black oil stick. I replaced that bolt with a brass valve, and now whenever I want to drain my oil, i attach a hose to that valve and open it up. After letting it sit for 30 minutes, all the oil is gone. I then take off the valve cover and pour oil into the engine from there until i can see the new oil coming out the valve. I then close the valve and remove the hose, then open the black oil stick thing and fill my engine with oil from the valve area until the level is at the top of the threads. This has worked perfectly for me ever since I started doing it.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html this is the little guy i use six bucks i just suck all the oil out of the filler hole its works just fine for me .

what the other guys are suggesting works well two .

its all prefernce .

do or bikes weigh enough to trigger the little bell thing when we pull up for the oil change ?

if someone does it put it on youtube and share it with the forum .

Poopyboogin420

Feb 4, 2011
Montana
On every 49cc engine, there is a bolt right at the base of the engine (carb side), below the black oil stick. I replaced that bolt with a brass valve, and now whenever I want to drain my oil, i attach a hose to that valve and open it up. After letting it sit for 30 minutes, all the oil is gone. I then take off the valve cover and pour oil into the engine from there until i can see the new oil coming out the valve. I then close the valve and remove the hose, then open the black oil stick thing and fill my engine with oil from the valve area until the level is at the top of the threads. This has worked perfectly for me ever since I started doing it.
Thank you so much, this seems to be a pretty clean way to drain..by pouring oil into the engine through the top(after removing the valve cover), does this just flush the rest of the used oil out? I imagine I could skip this step every other change, but still better than getting oil everywhere.

Poopyboogin420

Feb 4, 2011
Montana
I bought a funnel with a flex hose attached, I put the funnel under the drain plug and angle the flex hose to drain into a plastic jug, then open the drain plug. The flex hose also makes filling back up convenient, since I don't have to finagle the funnel to keep the oil from spilling out.
That's what I have, but I just can't get the right angle with my funnel to catch it all. To fill, it's a necessity for me for sure.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Thank you so much, this seems to be a pretty clean way to drain..by pouring oil into the engine through the top(after removing the valve cover), does this just flush the rest of the used oil out? I imagine I could skip this step every other change, but still better than getting oil everywhere.

If you let the oil drain through the plug at the base of the engine until there is barely anything coming out, then the amount of oil still in the engine is too small to worry about interfering with the fresh oil.

SoCalBoy

Aug 20, 2015
Southern Calif
I simply use a wet/dry shop vac. After loosening the oil drain bolt, I turn on the vac, hold hose very close to drain hole as I remove the bolt. Once the bolt is clear, I move the hose quickly to cover the drain hole completely. While the oil is draining into the vac, I remove the oil filler just above.

When enough time has passed, I turn off vac, insert drain plug and fill as usual. That's it. No mess. Works for me... :)