Disc Brake Top Hat Sprocket on Tyax?

GoldenMotor.com

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
Soon to buy a motorized bike kit for my Mongoose Tyax Comp, And I think I'm going to buy a Top Hat Adapter so I can still use the rear disc brakes but I'm just confused and need some help with choosing the right choices. Or should I wait and get a shift kit?

My main questions are

What sprocket should I buy and how many teeth? (How many teeth does the standard sprocket have?)

What top hat adapter do I buy? (Says 1/4" or 1/8" Offset)

Will it fit with the Tyax?

Best place to buy the top hat from?

Any help is greatly appreciated ~Gawdzahh
auflg

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A 1/8 offset with an offset sprocket allowed me to perfectly center my chain line, but my caliper was too wide to fit without rubbing the sprocket.

As far as I know King's is the only place you can buy a top hat.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Think it would fit on a Malvern Star XCS 3.0?
I don't think anyone can answer that question but you after trying it. It helps a lot if you're using a very small sprocket, and the back side of your caliper is very thin.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi Gawdzahh,

In answer to your questions:

1) A regular sprocket (with the HD 9 hole mounts) can work with the Top Hat Sprocket Adapter BUT the center hole will have to enlarged (filed, ground out or cut open) to clear the disc brake hub OR a Super Sprocket can be ordered to work specifically with the Top Hat (i.e. center hole already enlarged and the BEVEL cut farther down to maximize clearance between the sprocket and rotor.

Most people tent to go SMALLER than the factory 44T sprocket....Our best sellers are 34T, 36T, and 27T in that order....any size can be made tho...just these are the most popular sizes.

2) Generally 1/8" Top Hat goes w/ a standard offset sprocket and 1/4 Top Hat goes w/ a flat / non offset sprocket (If you lay your sprocket flat on a table and flip it over ans the sprocket teeth are always in contact w/ the table you have a "flat" or "non offset spocket".

On the other hand, if by flipping the sprocket over, the sprocket teeth changes position (i.e. the teeth were "off" the table to start with and flipping the sprocket over results on the teeth "touching" the table OR the teeth were "on" the table to start with and by flipping the sprocket the teeth are now "off" the sprocket) the you have an OFFSET sprocket and should go with the 1/4" Top Hat.

3) Top Hats work w/ any standard ISO spec disc brake hub.

4) Currently we are manufacturer / supplier / dealer BUT we will be setting up dealers shortly...

For more info look at our web page and you tube videos....that would go al long way to answering you questions or feel free to contact me / write here on the forums.

Good luck w/ your build....Ride safely!

Andrew

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Having a disk brake on the front makes the biggest difference in your stopping distance.
I have a disk rear hub with a 39 tooth sprocket on it. I cruise smoothly at 25mph. The vibration and noises increase dramatically approaching 30mph. I mounted a rear rim brake on it.

Last edited: