Putting 2 sprockets on the same wheel?

GoldenMotor.com

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Hey all, I was kinda hoping this was possible - I want to put a 36-tooth sprocket on my wheel which has a 44 tooth on it. Is it possible to do so with longer bolts and a extra sprocket pad thingy (the round black gasket for the sprocket) between the 2 sprockets? This way all I would have to do is lower the tension roller to move the chain onto the other sprocket when necessary and then re-adjust the tension. This way I could change between higher torque and higher speed setups.....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're going to run into chain alignment problems doing what you want. You'll need space between the sprockets for chain clearance and that will require that both of them will be out of alignment with the engine drive sprocket. Roller chain does not like to run at an angle and that's what you're asking it to do.

But, give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

Tom

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Here's the thing, my chain tensioner is slightly warped to fit my frame. I had to bend it to align properly cuz my forks are slanted inwards, so the bike was designed >_> but i have a spare tensioner so if i were to have 2 tensioners on the bike, and just leave the inactive one facing down i could possibly have them both aligned. but i understand your point so later this month ima try it and let you guys know

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Just buy a shift kit and be done with it. Your free the experiment all you want, but if you want reliability and a quality product, a shift kit is the way to go.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
when i was a younger man i had a honda 55 that had a 2 sprocket setup on it if i remember right you had to do a spring thing to release the bigger sprocket and then add a secyion of chain memorys a little fuzzy,been a long time bet you could find it on the net tho.frank

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
On my Staton hub a left side freewheel can be attached to it. So that multi freewheel may work with a left side freewheel hub. The question then becomes which setup would work best (multi left side sprocket vs shift kit). One that you must get off the bike to change (multi left sprocket) or one which can be changed while riding (shift kit). The other question is what's the difference in expense. I don't know how much that multi freewheel cost but a Staton hub or one of similar quality is close to a $100. And it still has to laced up. For the amount of money spent for a left side multi sprocket setup a quality shift kit could have been purchased. This being said thinking outside the box brings about better ways of doing things.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If it's left hand threaded I think it won't, I hope it works on my sbp freewheel crank hub, if not it was $12 so no biggie. BMX and tandems, and maybe your staon hub have the option of LH drive with left handed threads so it doesn't loosen itself. You might be able to find a left hand threaded cassette for a tandem if you're lucky.

Last edited: