For you Aussies .. I need to buy a bike..

GoldenMotor.com

OZbicycleengines

Dec 9, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys..

Can anyone recommend a suitable Mountain bike to fit the engine onto?

Been looking at big w and Kmart with little luck

My budget is around $100.00

Any ideas of suggestions?

Thanks guys
Steve

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
This is not timely, and probably not relevent in Oz, but a good candidate on a short
budget would be an old Schwinn Mesa Runner,( old school V-frame). There seems
to be a lot of these floating around on Craigslist & Ebay for cheap. They are a
good ,solid, all-terrain bike. Just about any older MB with this type of frame lends
itself to easy in-frame installation.

DaveM

Aug 22, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Hi,
None of the new Big W or Kmart bikes are an easy conversion simply because of the oversize front downtube. A used steel framed mountain bike with the down tube and seat tube the same size would make a better/easier first time project.

Cheers,
DaveM

DaveM

Aug 22, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Hi,

Hypernet, I am in Happy Valley, 5159.

OZbicycleengines, with a budget of $100 a good used steel frame mountain bike is achievable. I am looking at a GT Palomar on Gumtree which is $65.00. The early GT's are a nice looking bike, the other model I can think of is a GT Talera. They both have the same size down tube and seat tube so a motor will bolt straight in without any additional mounts, an easy conversion for a first time builder.

Cheers,
DaveM.

Last edited:

Obscurity

Jan 3, 2013
Geelong
I know this is a bit over $100, but i built mine with a Diamondback bronco for around a $150 at Big W. i ran into a similar problem as you, being that most BigW bikes lack large enough frames, this one, was a tight fit, but it squeezed in there.
Picture: (i hope this works)