Old type of 2 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

mxcycle

Jul 5, 2011
oregon, USA
Hi all,
Hope someone can help me out,,, I have an old :confused: bicycle motor add on kit, I don't think its anywhere near complete. The really odd thing is that it IS a 2 stroke, but it also has a single intake valve in the barrel, (like an old flathead Ford motor). The Exhaust is a dual port kind of set-up, has a U-shaped manifold that bolts on each side of the barrel. If anyone could shed some light on this for me,, would be great.
I'm guessing this was made in the USA, all the fastners are fractinal, not metric.
This set-up is the kind that bolts onto the front fork, and the drive wheel sits down on the front tire.
Can contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Photos will be needed to verify. I'm sure some members will be able to identify you're engine. Post pictures!

Welcome to the forum, I'm interested to see the motor...

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Very interesting piece.
My take: The valve is on the opposite side of the crankcase from the carb. I'd think that it is more apt to be either a compression relief or part of a governor system. The intake appears to go directly into the crankcase, perhaps a reed or even rotory valve. If I see the pics correctly there is another port below the exhaust for the intake. Very cool with the gearbox and all.
I'd treasure it.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I'm not positive but that looks like a McHenery engine from the 1930/40s. I have only seen a couple of them and never with the head off years ago...

Go to SmokStak Forums and open an account to post the images. I'm sure someone there will be able tp pin down the ID for you.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man! that looks awesome.

Any numbers on it? Some times you get lucky and a Google search will give you detailed information.

Please post any thing you find out. Really is a cool looking engine. Is kinda funny how folks have already worked out what we struggle with today, many years back.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Man! that looks awesome.

Any numbers on it? Some times you get lucky and a Google search will give you detailed information.

Please post any thing you find out. Really is a cool looking engine. Is kinda funny how folks have already worked out what we struggle with today, many years back.
Hey Dan good idea I didnt think of it till now but if there is a patent number you can look it up on Google Patent Search... Heck I just like to do a search there and read and look at the old diagrams for engine stuff...

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
What a great looking old engine MX!
Should not be too hard to get it operating once you find what parts can be re-done to fit it.
Good luck!
rc