Cross over exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I guess that I'll call it a cross over exhaust system.
It crosses over from the left side of the bike to the right side, right behind the seat tube and in front of the rear wheel.
I made the header portion out of an old motorcycle engine guard, and all the bent parts on the tail section are made from chopping up "ram's horn" 10 speed bicycle handlebars. I made the cylinder flange out of some thick flat stock I had lying around.
The mounting bracket I painted the same color as the bike, and the exhaust will be painted with high temp. BBQ black spray paint.
I will post pics of it installed after I am finished painting everything.
Will be a week or 2 though.

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I was thinking about doing my pipe with a expansion section just past the bent from the flange down along the frame tube then bent the pipe and install the stock mufler on the bottom exiting to the right also.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That sounds alot like the old dirt bike exhaust from the 60"s and 70's. The expansion chambers were underneath the frame and the pipe often crossed over to the other side of the bike. This proved ill thought out as many were crushed when the bike cased out while going over rocks, logs, ect.
Still, I like the look and for a street bike it works out just fine.
Just look at the old 2-stroke Yamaha RD's. Kawasaki H1's and H2's, and a few Suzuki's I cannot recall right now.

Good luck with creating it, and please share photos of it when you finish.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I may be telling my age here but I don't have to look I just have to remember. I worked with a friend on motocross bikes in the early 70's. Rm100 suzuki and YZ100 yamaha. Thats where I got the idea.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I just came back from a test ride. The exhaust is very, very quiet now. The intake roar through the stock air filter is a whole 'nother story though. That will be my next project for it. A quiet air box.
It climbed the rather steep hill by my house a little faster too. I am figuring that it has a teeny bit more torque than it used to have, but less horsepower so less top speed.
That's fine with me. I did not build it for speed.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
darn! i need a silencer. i wish i could complain about either the engine or the intake was too loud.
all i hear is exhaust screaming.