Trike Project or not

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I have a 49 cc HS 142F motor with a 4g drive. I bought this to use in a 2 wheel bike and changed my mind and used a 66cc 2 stroke instead. I am thinking of using the HS in a trike. Most of them are a little "tippy" in corners. I am thinking that smaller and fatter rear tires with the motor mounted low in the back ahead of the wheels might add some stability.
I would do away with the basket, lower everything and use a balloon tire on the front with maybe 20 or 24 fats on the back, some pull back bars and a big fat seat. I think I could make a good looking comfort cruiser trike.
Any thoughts?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds like a good plan, Jim. You posted this in the right section. You might want to browse through the older threads here to see what other members have done with their three wheelers.

I've only built one trike but it was an unusual design. I used a Titan 49cc 4 stroke in it and because of the tiny front wheel it was a little unstable at speed. A more traditional tricycle design would be a better option for a neighborhood cruiser.

Keep us posted if you do this project.

Tom

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Trikes can be tippy for sure. Your approach brings to mind a Bigwheel toy trike....small rear and huge front. Thing is you'll struggle to attain that stance and all.
On my own trike I stretched it a bit and widened it as much as my eyes could take. Then we pushed it down hill fast and tried it ,full lock turning it in a hurry. It remained stable and when it hit sand just slid around. So the ratio...length to width and height, must be close.