removing the cassette

GoldenMotor.com

kerwin50

Apr 18, 2012
cameron mo
I have a cheap mountain bike that I want to remove the cassette on.
It has 2 small dimples on the outside of the gear set 180 degrees apart.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
If you are talking about a bike with gears .. like an 18 speed or something , thats the wrong tool .. the tool you need looks similar , but nothing sticks up from the end.
it is a 12 point splined socket .. looks like a torx wrench , with twice as many teeth .. again similar to the other tool , with a hole going through for the axle

I think the 2 small dimples you are talking about are for the sprag clutch .. don,t try to take that apart

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Do NOT try removing the cassette by using a punch in those dimples. You will destroy it. Get the right tool.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
If you are talking about a bike with gears .. like an 18 speed or something , thats the wrong tool .. the tool you need looks similar , but nothing sticks up from the end.
it is a 12 point splined socket .. looks like a torx wrench , with twice as many teeth .. again similar to the other tool , with a hole going through for the axle

I think the 2 small dimples you are talking about are for the sprag clutch .. don,t try to take that apart
You r correct ..without a picture I was shooting from the hip while trying to help.
There are many different tools sunrace, shimano, falcon and more.Once you find find the name on the freewheel look for the correct tool.The best way to remove it is by placing the tool in a vice with splines facing up.Next take the entire wheel and put the freewheel in tool and use the wheel like a big steering wheel to loosen it...

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I'd go to the nearest bike shop. They have the right tools, and they may or may not charge you. You don't have to shop tools, and pay for something you'll probably only use once.
I find I get a lot of freebies from my bike shop, but I don't grumble about the bills when I get them, and they know its a motor bike.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i tried one just to see if i could get it apart.its now junk.i have a shop full of automotive tools.
the tool is about 14.00 to buy,and if you had it you woud be able to service it regularily.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I'd go to the nearest bike shop. They have the right tools, and they may or may not charge you. You don't have to shop tools, and pay for something you'll probably only use once.
I find I get a lot of freebies from my bike shop, but I don't grumble about the bills when I get them, and they know its a motor bike.
That's what I did with a wheel I needed the cassette off of. I needed some other things anyway, so I took it to the shop with me. It took 30 seconds, and they didn't charge a thing for it. She clamped a tool in the vice, dropped the wheel on it and gave it a spin as she walked past. I mentioned that I was going to work it out myself, I'm kind of handy that way, and I was told flat out "without the tool you'd never get it off."

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
I recently had to replace some spokes . 8 in total , 7 were on the right ( under the stupid cassette side ) ... go figure . I,m kinda lucky though .. we have a community bike shop , were you can book an appointment and use a bench , true-up stand and tools for free .
Good used spokes cost me 1 dollar for all 8 .

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Actually , Motomagz , the tool you suggested might very well have been the right one .
But when Kerwin mentioned ( cheap mountian bike ) the 12 pointer was the first one i thought of . Around here , seems thats the most common one .