Whizzer project "nibiru"

GoldenMotor.com

rickenbiker

Aug 30, 2011
Bay Area, CA
This is a sort of "found object" bike. It's got a '55 Phantom Phrame, Wards springer front end, generic fenders, phantom wheels and tires, Wald bars, a handmade engine-turned aluminum dashboard, and will use whatever junk and new parts I can scrounge up or find in swap meets and on EvilBay.

The criteria: A combination of old and new, shiny, and worn, dirty and clean, and 100% fun. It will be receiving an NOS Whizzer motor and front S-A drum brake.

Next week I tackle TIGing the motor mounts and adding small parts here and there. I've got an old headlight shell and fender taillight that will get LEDs. The dashboard will house a radio and amplifier for an iPod (tubes, of course...) powered by a 67.5 volt "B" cell battery...strictly early 1950s technology.

More pics as things progress! I wanna be riding it this summer!!!

rickenbiker

Aug 30, 2011
Bay Area, CA
A little bit of fitting over the weekend. Added wheel sheave. Headlight and taillight trial-mounted. 1940s chain guard. Today we'll be welding brackets for the Whizzer motor.

rickenbiker

Aug 30, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Time for an update. LOTS has been going on; I plasma-cut some engine mounts and TIG welded them into place. Converted the bottom bracket to 3-piece so I could slip in a wider crank. Belt drive dialed in, clutch bracket and cable, throttle linkage, grips (these crappy Taiwanese grips are temporary until I can find something suitable antiquey). We're modding a vintage luggage carrier. Next is a gas tank; steel or fiberglass to fit the standard Schwinn tank opening.

rickenbiker

Aug 30, 2011
Bay Area, CA
About 85% done here...still remains to complete the wiring, make a gas tank (fiberglas layup to fit into the Schwinn tank space), and fit a chain guard, which we'll probably plasma-cut when we get our plasma cutter's brain back from upgrading...

Anyway, what better place to photograph a WHIZZER than in front of the URINALS...

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
That is way cool looking...you could sell advertising space for a chrome shop or a paint & body shop on that! You really must know what you are doing and took the time to do it right. Well done! Man if you put some of those accent lights on that thing people would see you commin for miles! http://www.motorcycleledlights.com/Multi-Color-LED-Motorcycle-Lights.aspx

UPDATE: I just chatted with that store online & the dude said he didn't carry 6v lights but man was he fast to start the chat...almost instantly. H even took a few minutes to double check once I shared the link to your build he was impressed!

Last edited: