A gentleman of leisure!

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Well, it finally happened. They ran out of work for me at the company I've been with. The problem is that they are what is called a "Cultural Resource Management" firm. They essentially do commercial Archaeology and I'm not an archaeologist so I'm not qualified to do field work or any of the other random jobs that they have to keep their other people busy.

With about 2 semesters worth of classes I could get qualified and they have expressed a desire to get me back since they really liked the work I did for them. The question is how to I support myself for two semesters? I have been looking for grants and there don't seem to be any. I don't think I can collect unemployment and go to school since I already have a "marketable skill" i.e. Electronics Tech even though I can't find any work in that field. At 55 y.o. I was wondering if anybody out there knew of any programs available for retraining "older workers"? It would need to be either a Federal program or in the state of Arizona. I really liked this company and what they did so I am determined to find a way back. I just don't want to take any student loans to do it!

:confused:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I don't know how your state unemployment insurance works in AZ, But If you've been paying into it for all these years, they should give it to you if you got laid off!
It might not be very much $$$, but it's rightfully yours, & you should demand it until you can find another job!!!

Last edited:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The employers pay into the UI here not the employees but what I was trying to say is that they won't pay me unemployment while I go to school. As long as I am just looking for work they will pay it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah they should under all these new stimulus package have some kind of grants for school. I would call the state employment security commission and see it there isn't something.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Hey fin check google to see if Arizon has a dislocated workers fund or anything. My GF is here in Oregon with me. She has been laid off and is getting ready to go to school, she will continue to recieve her unemp benefits due to a Dislocated worked fund in Oregon. I hope they take care of you Fin, it would be awfully uncool of them not to have something like that set up for you.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Well, I have a line on one job that would have flexible enough hours that I could work (for minimum wage) and still go to school. I have another possibility on an Electronics Assembler job that would be a foot in the door at a manufacturing company. It wouldn't pay much more but I have many years of experience in that field so I could probably work my way up to a Tech position before I retire. Either way they are both paying more than I am making right now. I am already getting a little irritated at the Az Dept. of Economic Security (DES). I have a feeling dealing with them is not going to be pleasant! I just love bureaucrats!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I can assure you that initially they all are full of fertilizer but after you get in the door, they don't even want to ever see you again. usually they just let you send in your statement by mail these days and mail you a check.

however work is always better. If nothing else it is less boring.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
No lie Deacon! After 2 days of sitting at home with no funds to do anything I started climbing the walls! I don't think I could make an existence out of this!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Not even with minimal amounts of money can one survive the boredom. I mean it costs a lot more to keep your mind in shape than your body. Food and drink just aren't enough to feed the soul.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Well Fin.... at least you know where to find a ridding partner if you start climbing the walls again ;)

When I got laid off twice I found my motorized bicycle to be my best friend.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Unfortunately I am a heat wimp! I try not to go outside when the temps are over 100 F! Most of the country hibernates during the winter, I hide during the summer.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I wanted to take the high ground but most people do lie about unemployment. Some sit home and draw the money and do nothing to try to find work... I would much rather see the money go to someone trying to improve their work skills.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Well Fin.... at least you know where to find a ridding partner if you start climbing the walls again ;)

When I got laid off twice I found my motorized bicycle to be my best friend.
I now survive on 1/4 of what i made in my business before i quit---the motorized bike occupies me most days--whether its going to the beach or roaring thru town or going on a mountain trail or i use it to visit a whole host of other unemployed guys---however iam 62 and you dont have the same drive to work long hard hours.