Clutch problem

GoldenMotor.com

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I recently bought a 66cc engine kit and installed it. The problem is that no matter how I adjust the star nut, the clutch either slips while engaged or catches while disengaged. Actually, as of right now it does both. I use the "locking" clutch lever. How can I make it so I can use the same clutch lever, have it fully functional, and fix the clutch so it tightly engages when I want and it disengages when in the locked position. I don't think it's the cable because it is as tight as it's going to get; there is no slack in it. Please help.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Norman did a post on how to tighten the inner clutch spring thats is probably what you need to do because of your symptoms.
Their is a link under this to a post that I did on how to do it too

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I just tightened the spring and almost had everything back together. I was just doing some last minute adjusting of the star nut when the clutch cable snapped at the handle. Now I need to loosen the spring and install my last cable to see how that works. While adjusting the spring, I couldn't even tell anything was happening.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
you wont notice untill to try to engage the clutch plus it might be a little harder to pull the clutch in. Where did the cable snap at? I don't use the stock cable I just go and get a brake cable from a bike shop they are better and they are cheap too.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
The cable snapped at the keg-shaped thing that connnects to the clutch lever (cheap piece of crap). I swapped it out for a teflon coated cable from Sick Bike Parts. After the other one snapped, I unscrewed the spring about a turn and a quarter. After installing everything again I think I will have to make a quarter to half turn tighter adjustment tomorrow. It's getting dark here now and don't want to annoy the neighbors with testing.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I sorta have this problem too. On mine it just doesn't disengage fully. I think it's because when the handlebar lever is in the "locked" position, it is not pulling the clutch arm in far enough. I've adjusted the little flower nut and it improved a bit...wish they had a locking mechanism which pushes the lever in further though.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I do not use the locking handle I use an old brake lever. My clutch disengages when the lever is half way pulled. When you tighten the inner clutch spring you will get more play in the clutch because it pushes the pin out more so the clutch rod has more movement, that is what I noticed when I tightened mine. But you will have to readjust the flower nut with any tightening or loosening of the spring. If and when you do it loosen the flower nut before so it is easier to do the fix.

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
I have a question. How are you supposed to know how tight to go when tightening the inner spring? One revolution of the rear wheel? A half turn? Whats a good starting point?

TIA

unior

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I have a question. How are you supposed to know how tight to go when tightening the inner spring? One revolution of the rear wheel? A half turn? Whats a good starting point?

TIA

unior
A good starting point would be to do a half a turn (the main drive gear on the motor) i use the rear wheel to turn it, it will not take that much movement of the back tire to turn the gear half a revolution