Which Computer to Buy?

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
I'm thinking it might be time to buy a new computer (there goes my MB money!). My 5 year old Dell is starting to make strange noises after it's been on for awhile. Anyone heard of any good buys or have any recommendations in the $300 to $500 range? I don't do games ... I just mainly do ebay, youtube, forums and similar sites. I'm hooked up to 3MG cable but it's getting very slow lately ... 5 MG is available for more money. All input will be appreciated.
.trk.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
You could goto cyberpower.com and configure one with the specs you want and price range. Dont forget you could rebuiled yours by getting a new motherboard, power supply ram, and case. And reuse your harddrive, monitor, keyboard, mouse, cd/dvd burner.

I do alot of computer repair for people around me I know a bunch about them.

AMD Athlon X2 Configurator

$452.00 witht he operating system - $348 w/out the os you might be able to install your old xp on it.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
you probably just got a hard drive going out... 5yrs would be about that time...

anyway, I don't reccomend Dell, or any other mainstream brand for that matter... I prefer to build them myself.. my newest build ( built in december ) is a AMD Athalon x2 3000+ ( 3.1 GHZ dual core so 6.2 effective GHZ ).. 2 gigs of ram, DVD burner, good graphics card ect..... built it all in a cheaper case for less than $500 not including OS which is dual booted with Ubuntu 8.10 and Win XP home

plenty of places will built to-spec computers for you, in basic beige cases for a little of nothing. get a place with good ratings and a warranty and order what you can afford

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
HEY ZevO!

I'm saving up for that 200 dollar laptop. It's a tiny 10 inch screen my wife has one.
She bought hers at Costco. I seen one at Best Buy for just a little more I believe it was 230 bucks.
It does not have a CD drive but you can readilly use a flash drive anymore.
And it has a built in web cam and a built in wireless card.
Get a wireless router and you can surf in the bathroom!
You can plug it directly too.
What's really turning me on to this and I'm a Mac fan yet is that for little money I can almost carry this inside my jacket pocket while riding,stop at a coffee shop that has free WiFi then surf away. Because it's small not only can you conceal it better the smaller screen takes up less energy.
This translates to longer battery life and longer surfing.

Last edited:

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Tiger Direct is where I get 95% of my parts.. great place to do business with... got my laptop at Newegg a few years ago.

jvirginillo

Jul 21, 2008
For what it's worth. I have been doing computer repairs since I built my IBM PC XT back in the early 80's.

If you have the money I highly recommend a Dell, but only the Optiplex line. If interested ask me why. Likely overkill from the sounds of what you need.

I have sold about a half dozen Lenovo's to clients without any complaints.

Don't know if you have Fry's in your area but when i was down in Cali doing some work that seemed like a real bargain store.

If you can skip the OS from Microsoft and install Ubuntu (very easy, like answer about 6 questions and your installed) you can save heaps on software and little to no concerns about Spyware, Malware, Viruses etc. Believe me the cost of AntiVirus subscriptions can cost you as much as a computer over 5 years if you don't use free stuff.

As far as the noise goes you have mechanical devices within you computer which can make noise when bearing wear. Hard drive, Power supply fan, CPU fan, case fans. Video card fan.

Fans can make noise and just be annoying but if left unchecked can cause overheating.

Hard drives can remain n oise for years but in my experience with the higher density of these drives and the margin for error, I would'nt play around with it if you have any data you want to save (favorites, email, documents etc.)

Refurbs can be great especially if they come with some warranty. Also check out computer rental shops. I have picked up PC's for people from these places for $150 with an XP professional license (with tag) and they are usually business call Dell, HP IBM etc.

Lots of options, I am cheap and hate to pay more than a few hundred bucks for a PC. I never have bleeding edge hardware so I guess I am not a true computer geek. I get my fix at work.

I am writing this on a 5 year old Dell Latitude running Dream Linux which is also very cool and I run it from a USB Flash drive. OK That is Geeky ;-)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have bought my last two computers from the dell auction line. It is a place that sells there off lease refurbs and both have been excellent.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
For what it's worth. I have been doing computer repairs since I built my IBM PC XT back in the early 80's.

If you have the money I highly recommend a Dell, but only the Optiplex line. If interested ask me why. Likely overkill from the sounds of what you need.

I have sold about a half dozen Lenovo's to clients without any complaints.

Don't know if you have Fry's in your area but when i was down in Cali doing some work that seemed like a real bargain store.

If you can skip the OS from Microsoft and install Ubuntu (very easy, like answer about 6 questions and your installed) you can save heaps on software and little to no concerns about Spyware, Malware, Viruses etc. Believe me the cost of AntiVirus subscriptions can cost you as much as a computer over 5 years if you don't use free stuff.

As far as the noise goes you have mechanical devices within you computer which can make noise when bearing wear. Hard drive, Power supply fan, CPU fan, case fans. Video card fan.

Fans can make noise and just be annoying but if left unchecked can cause overheating.

Hard drives can remain n oise for years but in my experience with the higher density of these drives and the margin for error, I would'nt play around with it if you have any data you want to save (favorites, email, documents etc.)

Refurbs can be great especially if they come with some warranty. Also check out computer rental shops. I have picked up PC's for people from these places for $150 with an XP professional license (with tag) and they are usually business call Dell, HP IBM etc.

Lots of options, I am cheap and hate to pay more than a few hundred bucks for a PC. I never have bleeding edge hardware so I guess I am not a true computer geek. I get my fix at work.

I am writing this on a 5 year old Dell Latitude running Dream Linux which is also very cool and I run it from a USB Flash drive. OK That is Geeky ;-)
That was great, thank you. Why optiplex Jvirginill? Just wondering.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
That was great, thank you. Why optiplex Jvirginill? Just wondering.
IMO, they are the only decent Dell there is.. very simple and they are cheap.. not very upgradable in the desktop ( compact ) version.. have to use risers and stuff for some add on cards and some things just don't fit.. but for less than $150, you can get a very fast computer decent for many things.... I bought my dad a Referb GX-280 off ebay for $139 with XP pro.. a P4 dual core 2.8 GHZ..

still have a GX-110 on the shelf.. hard drive went out years ago, but it wasn't a bad computer.. just decided to upgrade instead of fix it.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
The new Acer Netbook From wall mart is a great little computer you can plug in a full size keyboard mouse and monitor and use it like a desktop but still have it to travel when you want. 300 bucks at wallamart running windows xp

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Wow ... that was quick ... thanks a bunch guys for all the info. Great to be a part of this forum where help is always just a click away!
.trk.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Not going to recommend any brand, but please consider getting a laptop over a desktop as it has a lower power consumption. Don't forget the pawn shops they have some great deals, I would pass on thrift store for computers unless you really know what you are doing. It's easy to be a little "Green" without trying.

Also you can take your laptop with your on your MB

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Not going to recommend any brand, but please consider getting a laptop over a desktop as it has a lower power consumption. Don't forget the pawn shops they have some great deals, I would pass on thrift store for computers unless you really know what you are doing. It's easy to be a little "Green" without trying.

Also you can take your laptop with your on your MB
One thing to remeber though is that laptops use lithium ion batteries that need replacement. But one can take them to their local dump for "proper disposal" (insineration) at no cost.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
One thing to remeber though is that laptops use lithium ion batteries that need replacement. But one can take them to their local dump for "proper disposal" (insineration) at no cost.
I have a box in the garage. I throw all dead/suspect batteries in it. Some day I will get rid of them. You never know there may be some use for them, LOL. I'm such a packrat. Also, only some of the batteries are bad in the pack and you can take them out and use them for other "stuff"

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I stumbled apon this by accident. I don't have a hospital Administrator crawling up my backside wanting to know how fast their 6.5 million robotic tape library will be up and running. Your treated like a god till you get their machines up and running, then your nobody. I spent 16 years with a gun to my head as a tech and you kids can have it :) I like HP. Dell makes a good laptop. AMD is my fave for CPU's Intel is good also. Go with the best deal, for the buck. Your internet speed matters, your computer is up to you. I have seen both sides, and am glad I build MB's :)laff

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Laptops are no more efficent than desktops.. the power inverter/ charger itself runs inefficently.. most pull about 100W but put out only 50-65W to charge the batteries. then given the fact there more expensive, and not as powerful as a comparable priced desktop.. there not for everyone..

then take into account, most brand name computers are energy star compliant and run 100-250W power supplies, but with any given normal operation, the power supply will only be running at 50-75% of it's rated capacity..

I guess I'm guilty, my dual core has a power hungry video card and I run a 600W power supply.. but as long as I'm not doing anything graphicly taxing, it's only running 3-400W.. and I have a digital readout on the front of my computer to tell me what it's doing