A break from my motorized bicycle project

GoldenMotor.com

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
After destroying a wheel to the point the bike wasn't worth repair, fabricating mounts to put china engine in a dirt bike frame, only to find out the rear sprocket on the bike wouldn't work.. Now the mountian bike it's in has a sprocket that runs true, it's full of gas, but the 1/2x 1/2" master link I got at the hardware won't work and allows the chain to jump off ( too much play side to side ).. not being able to get 1 locally, I ordered some from Sick bike parts... now I get to take a break from my MB and work on my '51 Chevy.. should b at least re primed by the end of the week.. but I'v got a 24hr window to paint it from fresh primer, so it'll probably be painted then too... hopefully the links don't come to quick and distract me from the car...

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
Re: A break from my MB project

me too! i have to take a break after my chain went into the spokes yesterday, lost 3 nuts and had to go home asap, thankfully i got home in one piece...but yeah im not gonna re-try using the rear sprocket and the crappy mount that holds it...so i just ordered the clam adapter and 40T sprocket, no more hassle and easy to allign the chain.

Also yesterday the boot broke. theres a little screw inside the boot, it came off and now doesn't want to go back in. guess i need to take it easy. Let go for a bit of my anxiety of getting this thing ripping the road....

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa

should be able to get a plug boot that will work at a dirt bike shop

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon

I used one right out of my truck, because I bought new ones and had many extra bits laying around, I needed one a little longer anyway so it worked out. I believe you have to make sure it is actually a solid wire though. I also am taking a bit of a break from mine, I have it taken all the way apart now that I've worked out the bugs. I can put some sweet paint on it. Most of the paint is done, but the laquer needs some cure time so I dont get fingerprint impressions, lol. Few days left till I can put it back together.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa

why did you choose Lacquer?

if the plug wire has supression core written on it, you'll gain better performance w/o it... supression core wire is carbon stranded ( that's why it's black ) and has about 3,000 ohms resistance, it'll work for an ignition system that can put out 5-10k volts or more, but not a weaker magneto ignition..

in any case, any automotive parts store can get copper stranded ignition wire, you just need to specify that

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon

why did you choose Lacquer?

if the plug wire has supression core written on it, you'll gain better performance w/o it... supression core wire is carbon stranded ( that's why it's black ) and has about 3,000 ohms resistance, it'll work for an ignition system that can put out 5-10k volts or more, but not a weaker magneto ignition..

in any case, any automotive parts store can get copper stranded ignition wire, you just need to specify that
I chose lacquer because I'm going for a highly polished snake skin affect, all my research pointed towards a lacquer as the best choice for my affect.