Getting older and rain

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When I was a youngster growing up in Miami Florida I used to hate rain. It seemed to interfere with everything I wanted to do. Then later, when I was flying airplanes I disliked it even more. I dreaded hearing from Flight Service that rain was predicted along my intended route and later in my Air Force days I would cringe when I knew I had to land in a rain storm. But, that was years ago and my flying days are over and now when the clouds roll in and I hear that distinctive sound of rain drops hitting the roof and the ground...I smile.
This has been an especially wet Spring in Denver and we've had rain for several days running now and I don't mind it a bit. I took my dogs for a walk tonight and before we got home the rain caught us a block from the house but guess what I did when I got home...I fired up my old Halloween Gal motorbike and took a run around my neighborhood. Yes, I was drenched by the time I got home but a hot shower and some dry clothes took care of any minor discomforts I had. Later I went out to the garage and wiped the water off that old orange bike and told it thanks for a fun ride. You know, rain is really neat, and the older I get, the better rain is. Just a lesson for you youngsters; Age will make you appreciate some things that maybe you never thought you'd like. Let it rain. :)
Tom

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
2door--I didn't think getting old was as much fun as it is. I can get away with all kinds of stuff and all the kids think it's just because your old.

The only one I can't get past is my 97 year old Mother. She has just too much experience in life.

Steve.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My grandson who never even spoke to me until a month ago discovered that "P"s shop has the bestest toys. And to think I never thought I would be cool.

As for rain I ride ebikes now so I don't even think about going out in the rain, but then I'm old I don't have to be anywhere on schedule. I just get a cup of coffee, go sit on my porch, and watch it rain. You never see young folks doing that. They are all locked away inside there hermetically sealed houses.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Now that is a coincidence. We had a pretty good rain yesterday evening as it began to taper off we got on the pedal bikes, leashed the Greyhounds and took them for a run in the rain. It really invigorated them, I guess the rain kept them cool. The really fast dog just about wore me out. I was pedalling hard and fast as I could and she had no intention of slowing down. We got a little wet from the rain and from riding through the standing water. I was even trying to hit the deeper water puddles. It was a blast, made me feel like a kid again.................................

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I love the rain especially when it is accompanied by a good dose of thunder and lightning. I sleep the BEST when there is a good thunder storm.

Getting old? I'm only 47 so I can't comment on that, (yet ;) ) but I do know I would never go back to 28.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
when I was working I hated for it to rain or thunderstorm got called out when it stormed cause the lightning would knock off the power to the wells. Now I can enjoy the rain and lightning I can sleep better when its storming. Now that I'm not on a call list anymore I can laugh when it rains as I know I won't be going out to wallow in the mud or get fried on a hot panel(shorted Out ). I really like the storms the more thunder the better as my grand daughter says funder!
Norman
zpt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for understanding my old, and getting old friends. On the night in question I also enjoyed a cup of coffee on the back porch, watching and listening to the rain and refelecting on what's really important in my life. Reaching this stage of maturity certainly has its advantages. One of those is being able to remember times when life was so much simpler than today. TV with only 3 channels, telephones with two letter exchanges, Detroit and "The Big Three, Super Connies, Buffalo Bob and a hundred other little things that make me smile today when I think of them. Thanks again for the acceptation.
Tom

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I remember when I turned 50 and didn't want to get any older than that, then I started realizing I wasn't to far from retireing (Never have to work for someone again!) Now that is worth getting a few years older. Now that I am 59 and retired,it doesn't get any better than this!
I am still not all that fond of rain. I don't mind a good thunderstorm occasionally, but I hate the overcast drizzle that lasts for days at a time. That gets into my MB riding time!

John

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
In our house Sunday dinner was eaten on tv trays because Walt Disney was on at 6:30 and Ed Sullivan was on after that. Some shows we watched on ch. 6 the Canadian channel but the best tv was on 2and4 out of Buffalo. We watched them more than our own. Dad called it Canadian Corn.

It was a race home to watch Dick Clark on American Bandstand. If you watched it at your girl friends her little brother watched it with you as a chaperone. My girls brother was cool because he didn't tell if we snuck a kiss or two in.

You knew if the parents liked you because when you got home from a date they would give you a few min.to say good night before the porch light went off and on to let you know time was up. The longer you got the more they liked you.

A good car was $50. It was a $100 if it had a floor in it. At least up North.

I think everyone had a restaurant they hung out at because it had a big parking lot. It was the center of everyones life. Dates were made,romances ended,drag race threats were issued,cars admired and enough stories were told to fertilize a 100 fields.
Couldn't find someone,they went through within an hour.
The booth juke boxes were pumped full of quarters,sodas were lingered over because somebody you liked was in the next booth and you hoped you caught thier eye and they sent thier best friend over to talk to your best friend because it was not proper to do it yourself.

Anybody have stag lines at school and church dances where the girls stayed on one side and boys on the other and just the couples danced? You had to go across the dance floor and ask a girl to dance and if she said no you had that long lonely walk back. Doris Day wanted you to see the USA in a Chevrolet. We got to see Canada but it was just as sweet.

Young people ask me if I would go back to those days if I could. No because somethings today are to good to give up.
Having said that,if Doris Day pulled up in a Chevrolet, the bets are off and I would be too.

Steve.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K, so the rain is not so good sometimes, I have to lay under the car in it today and fix the leaking gas tank before work....

;)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I hate the cold winter rains for that. I once went out in the pouring december rain to work on my nephew's car. He was stranded at my moms house. It took me hours and hours to get that mutha running.

Of course there was no reason for us both to stand out in the rain, so I sent him inside. I should have made him stand there so he had a little more appreciation for what I did. I got even, I thought him enough to have him working on things now. I should call him to come over and change the wife's oil.

Na she would have a fit. All her work is not done at the dealership. She has that 100,000 mile ten year warranty. The car is three years old with a grand total of under 21,000 miles. She might make the ten years though.

Ps I never had any luck with leaking gas tanks. I tried epoxie and all kinds of things. A friend came buy and ran a tiny screw covered with expoxie into the crack and embedded the head into another blob. that held until I sold the car a year later and still was holding. Metal seems to be a little better than plastic to patch.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, it beat the laying under the trailer fixing the water pipes routine....I found a way to patch the tank...it has rusted through in several places! T-88 structural epoxy is gasoline proof!

I will still take being 47 and knowing how to fix something in the rain over being 27 and fixing it with a hammer.

Still the thunderstorms make it all worth the times I have to work in the rain (or snow).

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hey Joe, I Was Refering To Your Pipes Last Winter! Yeah, Like I Say; Never Beat On It, Get A Bfh! Ha Ha . Fellow Member Dvd Is Mb`ing Accross Town Tomorrow. Maybe We Will Get My Stretch Motorized. I Want To Be Closer To The Ground. That Sitting High Makes Me Twitchiieee. Later Buddy. Ron cvlt1