A million questions

GoldenMotor.com

1967 R50/2

Apr 20, 2008
Hi all-

This is my first post so let me explain a few things about myself first, and then some questions. First, I am an American Expat living in Beijing China. Driving here is a complete hassle, so like a lot of the country I ride a bicycle to work, a Flying Pigeon, in fact. The rub is, when I lived in the US, I was an avid motorcyclist, which I miss tremendously. Now it would be easy enough to buy a motorcycle here, but it would also require a license, which is a bit of a pain. So the thought of motorizing my Pigeon seems apt.

Now there are about a million bikes rolling around china with 2 stoke engines strapped to the frame or Velosolex copies strapped to the front wheel, but if I am going to do this I want something different. So here are my project requirements, which I am hoping I could get your suggestions on.:

1. Bike is a 28" Flying Pigeon Double bar frame. (picture attached). I will construct the bike to look like a pioneer motorcycle. (1900s)
2. Engine must be a four stroke, and look suitably vintage. Two possible exception would be if I could source a Monarch boxer twin or a Villiers bike engine kit.
3. All parts must be made in the PRC, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau. (Monarch or Villers excepted of course)
4. Now an NE5 whizzer engine fits the bill, being made in Taiwan, however, I haven't been able to find a source for JUST the engine kit, let alone one here in the PRC. (any suggestions?)
5. Is it possible to use a rear 3 speed hub with internal transmission to increase the efficiency/speed of the bike? Sturmey-Archer hubs are now made in Taiwan, so they also fit the bill....if they are useable.
6. Are there any add on transmissions for the Whizzer engine? Perhaps something that fits behind the seat post pillar?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Your help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
First, welcome.

Now there are a couple of guys here that are a minute away from releasing a jackshaft set up to run a frame mount through your bike's gears...see Pablo or Ghost0. I don't know if that hels, since they are made here.

Have you considered contacting Whizzer, or the factory in Taiwan for just the engine?

1967 R50/2

Apr 20, 2008
Haven't tried contacting the factory yet. That's next. Thought I'd throw out a line and see if anyone had a lead or maybe even had a 2nd hand engine. Thanks for the tip on the transmission solution.

BTW: does anyone know who produced the attached whizzer V-Twin? This is good stuff!

Attachments

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the forum. we have a couple members that are whizzer dealers and have been for a long time. hopefully they can help you out. i don't know enough about them to give good advice. motorbikemike and Quenton Guenther are our whizzer dealers

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have no idea on any of this but I love both bikes.

The little two stroke most of us run here is a gutsy LITTLE engine but high maintenance in my opinion. I hear good thing about the whizzer and would love to have one. I think one of the members here is a whizzer dealer but I'm not sure.

I would love to send you something in exchange for you sending me a good china two stroke (if there were such a thing) lol. The one thing these little engines have going for them is the vintage look about them.

All kidding aside welcome and look forward to your posts from a different perspective just be careful what you write.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Something like the attached (it needs to be finished and painted)?

I used a mounting kit that is made in China, but a Honda engine. There is, however, a good Huasheng (Chinese manufactured) clone of the Honda GXH50.

The kit is a Grubee Skyhawk II- I would have no idea where to source it over there, but it should be possible.

Attachments

1967 R50/2

Apr 20, 2008
Thanks guys. $850 for the engine is pretty steep. Considering the bike only cost 350RMB. (at the time that was less than $50) Maybe I will just be patient and see what comes up.

Houghmade...I like your style!! A lot!! However isn't the Honda a pull start? I really want it to look like a Pioneer era Motorcycle, which rather precludes a pull start...or even a kick start. Pedal and push start only.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Got me there, yep a pull start. That I know of, Whizzer or the two-strokes are the only pedal to start engines- I'm sure there will be more 4 strokes in the future, though.

1967 R50/2

Apr 20, 2008
Houghmade-

A fork question for you: Yours looks like a leaf spring. Self made or bought?

Also has anyone used a "Crate" fork r a springer? How would you rate the quality etc?

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I made that "leaf spring" out of flat and tube stock- it is strictly ornamental. I like the leaf look and it functions as a fender.

I am using functional springer fork like this one:

Forks - 20" Springer Fork | BikeWorldUSA | Bicycle Parts and Bike Accessories

It works fine, but I have the spring bolt tightened down to angle the fork forward a bit. This limits travel some, but it seems to work fine. I am sure that more modern designs ride better, but if I wanted a more modern design....