first Build Huffy Davidson

GoldenMotor.com

canuck

May 6, 2009
ontario canada
Brought the bike back from Florida this winter with the intent to put a motor on it.Turned out good and looks not bad for an 80 dollar bike.

Would like to thank the folks on here for what I learned lurking around :)

Only problem I have is the tire rubbing a bit. Not sure if I can space it over or maybe just buy a more narrow tire?

These things are not the most enviromentaly friendly vehicles but a ****load of fun to ride !!

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
put a spacer on sprocket or move engine over a little.
these engines are enviromentally ok,since mine gets 200mpg.
when i had my car(ford) it leak all fluids at any time,smoke came out tailpipe,and it got 15-20mpg.which one you think is worse?

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
Your MB looks great.I had the same one,and put about 1200 miles on it with no problems,except the front fender mounting tab broke after about a week, luckily I stopped before it wrapped around the tire.I would suggest either taking it off or replacing the mounting bracket with something stronger. David.

canuck

May 6, 2009
ontario canada
yeah you got me there cabin fever! The Ford would have been worse.......I think it is just smokin a bit because I am breaking in the engine. Will try the spacer or engine move.I have read some good oil mix threads and will try them once it is past the break in stage.

Thanks for the info on the fender dvdtv....I did notice it shaking quite a bit the first couple rides.Could see how that might be dangerous!!

I have a Schwinn also but I like the way the front down pipe is wider on this bike.I smoothed out the front mount with a die grinder and an 80 grit flap wheel and it fits like a glove on there.No vibration at all really but for tha fender! I think I will definately be checking that before the next outing :d

Thanks for the help it is appreciated......

Jeff

Last edited:

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen
i have the same bike that im building for someone else and i cant figure out how the coaster brake goes around the sprocket please help

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It's more important to make sure the chain is lined up between the sprockets...be carefull when adding spacers or moving the engine over (not sure how you'd do that).

A light tire rub is not bad. I use 190's with no problems. I will suggest going to a thinner tire if it rubs too much.

dfloyyd

May 3, 2009
HI! i just built this bike too! (not sure if you still have the problem) but, mine rubbed the tire too. I ended up putting some thick lock-washers between the Sprocket & the packing material on the back wheel.

After tightening up the sprocket and aligning the wheel as best i could, the chain had about a quarter inch clearance from the wheel. So far So good!!

I finished mine last Saturday. There's still some modifications I'd like to make, but overall I'm really happy with the bike's appearance.

What are your thoughts on the bike?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i used a spacers on my rear wheel between spokes and sprocket and now my chain clears the tire.

an i didnt mean move the whole engine over,just a little tilt and tighten.
and i didnt have to bend no arm or drill out the sprocket hole,i just removed the dust cap.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
nice!
BUT if i may offer a suggestion.....
install a heavy-duty "L" bracket to the front fender.
those front fenders are infamous for tab breakage. the single, thin tab breaks, the fender falls onto the tire and grabs, the fender follows the tire until the braces meet the forks. then, that mashes the fender down on the tire until it locks up. that problem has been throwing guys over their handlebars.
theres a thread about it here someplace.