49 Schwinn Upgrade

GoldenMotor.com

mazdaflyer

Mar 22, 2009
Kansas
Hopefully the link below shows my 49 Schwinn fitted with a 80cc RAW Motors engine fron Zone 8 Cycling. It has a custom mounting bracket fabricated from a Simpson framing tee, rubber flooring pads and SS U-bolts. I changed the original skip tooth hub and sprocket for a Bendix rear coaster hub which provided clearance for the rear drive gear and brake arm. The original Schwinn crank had to be changed to new wider spread crank providing motor clearance for pedaling. I also added a wire pull from the choke to the top tube that doesn't show up in the photo. I plan on adding a drum brake to the front wheel for better braking. Will probably leave the bike in rust and faded paint as a rat rod.

I haven't got the idle quite adjusted and acutally lost the idle screw on a test run.

.rd.

Last edited:

mazdaflyer

Mar 22, 2009
Kansas
I found a source for the idle screw and got it adjusted. I found a drum brake for the front wheel and I'm in process of getting it installed. It should beat the rear coaster brake. Will post new photos when finished.

drn2

mazdaflyer

Mar 22, 2009
Kansas
I found a drum brake online. I had it laced up with 12 gauge spokes at my local Schwinn shop. I installed the wheel, lever and cable today, ready for a test ride. It works great in the repair stand, always have the rear coaster for backup. Also added a electronic computer "speedometer" to keep track of miles. The axel isn't long enough to add a manual speedo.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
very nice build and you gave me a great idea about adding a choke cable to activate it . That will be on my next to do list. and your lights are very cool

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very nice. I love the fact that you didn't change the original paint. Too bad you can't do a patina job on that fuel tank to match the bike. Now that would be cool. It's a very classic look. I was comparing your bike with a friend's Schwinn Point Beach. Except for the cantilever bar, they're very close. Apparently Schwinn recognized that they had a winning design and hasn't changed it much over the yeras. Thanks for sharing the pix with us and welcome to the forum. BTW...your bike is 2 years younger than me.
Tom

Last edited:

mazdaflyer

Mar 22, 2009
Kansas
Very nice. I love the fact that you didn't change the original paint. Too bad you can't do a patina job on that fuel tank to match the bike. Now that would be cool. It's a very classic look. I was comparing your bike with a friend's Schwinn Point Beach. Except for the cantilever bar, they're very close. Apparently Schwinn recognized that they had a winning design and hasn't changed it much over the yeras. Thanks for sharing the pix with us and welcome to the forum. BTW...your bike is 2 years younger than me.
Tom
Thanks, it is 4 years younger than myself...rode a Whizzer around prior to getting my first car.

mazdaflyer

Mar 22, 2009
Kansas
Was out for a ride the other day in the neighborhood. Our local police tailed me for several blocks, finally pulled up along side me waved and continued on their way. I thought sure I'd get pulled over. There doesn't seem to be any legal way to registered and become road/street legal in Kansas. I guess I can just take a chance or find private property to ride on. A dirt track oval would be cool. Anybody done dirt track racing or riding anywhere close to Kansas? dnut