is this a bad deal friction drive?

GoldenMotor.com

wardnipper49

Jan 3, 2016
maine
looking at a ebay friction drive bicycle kit its a 42cc for 250 new in box. if i get it an its junk ill probally ask for a refund. id toss it on a new beach cruiser huffy and add like 50 bucks in extra accessories for it bell, horn, lights etc. so for 425 bucks id have a new friction bike, new bike an accessories to go.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Im an FD fan as well as chain. If you are in the flats 42cc is plenty. With hills you will pedal a lot. Roller size is critical on smaller engines. Its nice to have options to change too. If you are serious about an FD check with Staton, I believe they sell a bare kit with various roller options, as well as complete kits. Their stuff is good quality with high end engines so it costs more.

A well designed FD is a pleasure to use as they are very smooth and reliable. Wet weather is their nemesis.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
FDs are not for everyone. I dont know about losses, There was some discussion on this awhile back and I dont remember a definitive answer.

The losses must not be too bad as my tiny 21cc FD makes an honest 22mph.

One of the cool things is it doesnt matter what size wheel its installed on it will go the same speed for a given roller size. Makes gearing changes a snap.

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Back in 1986 I purchased a "Bike Bug" friction drive, and mounted it on the front of a 26" cruiser......

It was my only wheels for 2 years......

I put a LOT of miles on that thing going back and forth to work every day.

I went through 2 bicycles, and a lot of bicycle related maintence , but the little engine just kept on running!

It wasn't the best looking set up, but it was very dependable.