Flying Horse on Skyhawk GT2 Frame? HELP

GoldenMotor.com

Jakepetre

Jun 14, 2015
Illinois
I have a 66cc Flying Horse Engine kit from Bikeberry and plan on mounting it on a Skyhawk Gt2 frame. Is this possible? I've seen pictures of builds where the sprocket is mounted near the crank yet on my diamondback outlook the sprocket needed to be mounted on the rear wheel. How should I go about mounting the engine? Do I need a special system to mount the 36 tooth sprocket where the crank is or simply use the rear wheel hub mount?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks Dave that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm still unsure if I should put my 8 speed gear module in the rear or just use a single speed. Thoughts?
I don't remember the width between the dropouts on the GT2 since it is designed for a single speed hub. I kinda remember the GT2 came in single and multi speed? Maybe someone can correct me on that?

I would assume a Multi-speed cassette would not fit without spreading the dropouts. Maybe removing the band brake would give the room needed?

I would ask another member who has a GT2 frame. Maybe a member who owns one or knows more about them would be kind enough to advise you further.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I don't remember the width between the dropouts on the GT2 since it is designed for a single speed hub. I kinda remember the GT2 came in single and multi speed? Maybe someone can correct me on that?
Nope, the drop outs are set at 135mm for a standard 8/9/10 speed mtn bike hub, but with open track ends instead of vertical drop outs. If you were running a derailleur (needs an adaptor), you'd want to slide your axle all the way forward and let the derailleur take up the chain slack. Those of us that run coaster brakes (myself included) have to respace the axles to add the 25mm between a 110mm single speed coaster or fixed gear hub and the 135mm standard for mountain hubs. The frames also come with cantilever/vbrake brake studs, also common for mountain bikes so a modern mountain bike makes a great donor for parts.