Stripped intake hole?

GoldenMotor.com

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
On my 2 stroke engine the left side of my intake port where my bolt goes to hold the intake manifold is pretty much stripped...I'm wondering if i need a new cylinder or if i can get by with like JB welding the bolt and letting it dry...any ideas?

Thanks all

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
Here's a thread you might find interesting. Read it and make your own decision.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=55887

Tom
Thats interesting! I'm gonna order a new cylinder body for my engine and I'm thinking about porting it really well along with the aluminum intake it comes with..also I'm ordering a 36 teeth sprocket..would I have to break in the new cylinder or can i keep running my 40:1 gas ?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A new cylinder is just that. A new cylinder, which is a part that gets 'broken in' during break in. It's not a good idea to mix a new cylinder with old piston rings. Change both together.

As far as your oil mix ratio, 40:1 is just a little shy on the oil side unless the oil you're using is formulated to run at that ratio. Some guys do run 40:1, even with standard 2 stroke oil but I'd stay with a 32:1 mix with regular 2 stroke oil. Whatever you do DO NOT RUN 16:1. Too much oil even during break in.

Just a word or caution; The aluminum intake manifolds don't have a lot of meat so go easy on the grinding. They are also prone to breaking. I'd go with a steel intake if you can get one.

Tom

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
A new cylinder is just that. A new cylinder, which is a part that gets 'broken in' during break in. It's not a good idea to mix a new cylinder with old piston rings. Change both together.

As far as your oil mix ratio, 40:1 is just a little shy on the oil side unless the oil you're using is formulated to run at that ratio. Some guys do run 40:1, even with standard 2 stroke oil but I'd stay with a 32:1 mix with regular 2 stroke oil. Whatever you do DO NOT RUN 16:1. Too much oil even during break in.

Just a word or caution; The aluminum intake manifolds don't have a lot of meat so go easy on the grinding. They are also prone to breaking. I'd go with a steel intake if you can get one.

Tom
Thanks...I run 40:1 with just regular 2 stroke oil...what should I be using or mixing? About the intake I will be easy on them..steel is a little harder to port though...I've got a 40mm intake but it literally guzzles my gas a LOT..what would be the effects of not changing the rings? I can get them just curious?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Piston rings and cylinder walls wear together. They 'mate' to each other to form a good seal that helps compression and therefore power. Once the rings have been seated to a wall, even if they are not old and worn out, they will never seal to a new cylinder wall as well as new rings will.

Most certainly it has been done and with success, but it isn't the right or best way to do it. Rings are cheap and you won't regret going with a matched set, cylinder and rings, down the road.

Treat the engine like a new one and do your break in according to your feelings. If you research 'break in' here you'll read many theories on 'the best way'. I subscribe to the run it like you plan to ride it but don't abuse the engine either during the first couple of gallons. Abusing an engine even after break in isn't smart, no matter what. :)

Tom