mounting methods/reinforcements

GoldenMotor.com

dylanriha

Mar 8, 2014
Florida
I just ordered a new kit. My last 49cc rattled itself into oblivion and I wrecked it. Now I just ordered a Chinese 80cc so I'm expecting some more rattles... On the bolts to the engine mount should I add a little rubber cement or crazy glue so that the bolts won't come loose? Will this help .duh.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Replace the cheese hardened stock studs and bolts with some grade 5 hardware from a local hardware store. Use Nylock nuts or double nut the mounting points. You can also find extra long nuts for even better holding power. They are sometimes called ''coupling nuts'' and are twice or more as thick as a standard nut. If you simply MUST use loctite, use some blue on the studs into the cases and bottom them plus 1/8 turn.
Personally, I have never needed loctite. Be sure the mounts are straight and square and fit the frame tight for maximum contact area. After installing, check tightness every ride for the first few weeks.
(DONT OVERTIGHTEN!)
Once everything takes a set, I seldom have to touch it again.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I replaced the engine mount studs with 6mm stainless steel socket head cap screws (SHCS) and a little blue Loctite. Just always remember to be gentle whenever loosening a screw with Loctite, and clean the screw threads before reinstalling the screw into aluminum.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't use any thread locking compounds on engine fasteners but I do replace the intake, exhaust and mounting fasteners with Allen head capscrews. Typically the capscrews will be grade 8.8, metric, and will suffice IF, you don't overtighten them.
Over torquing is the single most common mistake new builders make then "cheap hardware" is blamed when fasteners or threads fail.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I make new mounting studs from 100mm long M6x1.00 bolts I get from local bolt supplier and lately I haveade studs from a stick of grade 5 M6 x 1.00 all thread I ordered from McMastercarr.com I use just a dab of blue locktite thread locked on all studs, nuts and bolts, and as it has been said already DONT OVER TIGHTEN the hardware, the china lume material these things are made of is ok if handled with kid gloves but if you get rough its gonna strip the threads and cause you grief.

One engine kept spitting the rear mounting studs out even with blue loctite of threads so I clean studs and threads in block good and put a dab of Red High strength thread locker on those particular studs and after 4 years and over 2000 miles nothing has even come loose on that engine again, I wouldnt nomally use red thread locked because it is a dang near permanent bond unless you use some heat to get a bolt or stud out but in the case of threads being a bit loose it works like a champ and holds solid as long as there is still enough thread for the bolt or stud to get a hold of.

Map
reddd