HELP ! Clutch Exploded I Think , pics incl.

GoldenMotor.com

jmc25fl

Sep 29, 2013
Venice Florida
Hi, I just installed a 66cc BGF motor kit on my bike. This is my 3rd install and this is the first time I have run into a problem like this 15 hours after initial test run. The motor started making all sorts of noise. This led me to take the clutch cover off to inspect things. What I found was a real mess. There were tiny ball bearings resting in the cover. The large gear seems to have shifted away from the drive gear so that they are still meshing but not like they should. My question is what should I do? Should I try to send the motor back and get a new one or fix it myself. I am good with tearing down motors and such, but I would like to know what I am getting into and what parts I will need to replace or repair. I haven't disassembled the motor yet because I am waiting to hear from the manf. Can one of you experts give me some advice please. I have attached pics so that you can see what I see. This is my main means of transportation so I would like to handle this quickly. Thank you.

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looks like the inner plate is toast. Fixing it will be a pain.
I'd probably just order a new engine and swap them out rather than take the trouble to rebuild the clutch

jmc25fl

Sep 29, 2013
Venice Florida
Looks like the inner plate is toast. Fixing it will be a pain.
I'd probably just order a new engine and swap them out rather than take the trouble to rebuild the clutch
Could I not just order new clutch parts? an entire motor replacement seems extreme, but I could be wrong, as I have never taken these things apart. Thank you for your advice though.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I agree with neil above. it's just the "flywheel" for lack of a better term.

rebuilding it is probably impossible. once those blow apart you're screwed. but it's an easy fix. and luckily those bb's have nowhere to go so they don't mess up anything else.

Call the supplier and see if they'll warrantee it and send you a new part. after they say "no" and hang up on you, call pirate cycles.i think they're in florida?

Edit... sorry, they're in massachusets

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Could I not just order new clutch parts? an entire motor replacement seems extreme, but I could be wrong, as I have never taken these things apart. Thank you for your advice though.
Get a replacement clutch from BGF.
Is he still in China?
The clutch parts press together capturing the ball bearings that make it freewheel.
Probably not worth trying to rebuild it........

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Like some people above mentioned, rebuilding that side of the motor is more hassle than it's worth. I am experienced and I would just replace it and save the good parts for later use. The new engine is less than $100 bucks....
The entire clutch shaft needs pulled and is probably beyond most new members whereas replacing the engine is simple. Very little price difference by the time you get everything needed as well...

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Like some people above mentioned, rebuilding that side of the motor is more hassle than it's worth. I am experienced and I would just replace it and save the good parts for later use. The new engine is less than $100 bucks....
The entire clutch shaft needs pulled and is probably beyond most new members whereas replacing the engine is simple. Very little price difference by the time you get everything needed as well...
The clutch shaft does Not have to be pulled to change a clutch out!
Changing out a clutch is an easy quick task if you have the puller and the right sized socket 19 mm? for the nut.

If you send a polite email to BGF with a pic you will get a replacement.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I would dis-assemble everything connected to the failed part just to be safe.
I'm not fond of installing new parts and only THEN finding something else broken....
Maybe you know more about these motors than I do, but I'm not just bolting another anything on a failed engine without inspecting the innards.
Had to be a reason it failed....Find it or risk disaster.

jmc25fl

Sep 29, 2013
Venice Florida
Thank you all for your input. I am going to digest all this and then I will post an update. I bought the engine kit from BGF , but his ebay store is no longer up so I dont know the outcome of any support. Any ideas on where to buy a new clutch assy and the puller?

Thank you all.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The puller comes with all my kits. I have several laying around in my toolbox.
Apparently some vendors don't include them.
Your biggest issue will be finding someone to sell you the CORRECT parts...if you want to attempt a fix, I'd suggest calling Duane at Dax and describing your problem to him. He should be able to give you the parts to order without sending stuff you don't need.
I still think a new engine is easier than fixing yours unless you know what you're doing. Good luck ordering the right stuff from BGF...it will be up to YOU to know what you need. Rick is like most ebay vendors: he never see's the boxes, he just does paperwork.
Dax is a better bet to talk to someone who will help you figure out the right stuff to order.
Your other choice is to try finding a consistent accurate parts list to use for ordering.
I've never seen two the same yet.
Grubee, flying horse, Rico group, Super Rat, etc. There are simply too many factories making the ht to allow easy parts matching.
Replacing the engine is by far the easiest way to get rolling again. You can always rebuild the bad motor later if you want to tackle learning the inside of your motor.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Maniac, i'm not trying to give you a hard time, but it really is a simple fix. the "flywheel" is pretty much interchangeable on all 66cc motors, regardless of brands. i've had plenty of different motors and they fit all the same. the only difference is the way the clutch pucks are cut.

Jmc, i've got a pile of them. send me a pm and i'll ship one to you with a puller if you don't have one. i'll even write out some instructions...

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well there ya go!
I'm not upset. I realize my genius goes unheralded most of the time. :)
and I'm lazy too.

jmc25fl

Sep 29, 2013
Venice Florida
First let me thank everyone for your input. When I buy these kits I know that the tolerances are sometimes poor and this will cause problems to arise. I have experience with motors in general as I used to race jet ski's and have built many a motor after replacing cranks, seized pistons ect.. So I am not scared in anyway about getting " into the motor". The specialized tools are all that I lack, and of course the tricks of the trade that come with tearing down the motors. It has always been a dream of mine to tear one of these motors down and modify the bejesus out of it and extract more power. I have looked at the Morrini motors and would love to get one but they are just not in my budget as of now.
This clutch going bad has made me think I should tear the whole thing apart and check everything. I guess I will need to find a good source for parts ( PM me with any suggestions). I will continue to listen to the advice of you guys as you truly are experts in the field. These little motors are just so much fun.

jmc25fl

Sep 29, 2013
Venice Florida
Ok, so as of now I have taken the motor off the bike and have everything set aside for the upcoming repair/swap. When the experts that have been helping me here weigh in on a final conclusion I will be moving forward. Although I have to say I was looking at dax's ktm 50 cc engines and I think I actually drooled.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
First let me thank everyone for your input. When I buy these kits I know that the tolerances are sometimes poor and this will cause problems to arise. I have experience with motors in general as I used to race jet ski's and have built many a motor after replacing cranks, seized pistons ect.. So I am not scared in anyway about getting " into the motor". The specialized tools are all that I lack, and of course the tricks of the trade that come with tearing down the motors. It has always been a dream of mine to tear one of these motors down and modify the bejesus out of it and extract more power. I have looked at the Morrini motors and would love to get one but they are just not in my budget as of now.
This clutch going bad has made me think I should tear the whole thing apart and check everything. I guess I will need to find a good source for parts ( PM me with any suggestions). I will continue to listen to the advice of you guys as you truly are experts in the field. These little motors are just so much fun.
Search the forum here for all the teardown and upgrade info you need. It's actually fairly simple to rebuild these engines so you should have no problem doing the work.
I suggest Dax for your parts since they can actually be called for advice and to help you buy the right parts for your engine. Much better than sending money off to ebay and hoping you get something close to what you need.
I would go ahead and replace the crank and rod bearings now if you want a full fresh bottom end. There are much better japanese and aftermarket bearings and seals out there for cheap. No time like while it's apart!
Good luck and have fun!

jmc25fl

Sep 29, 2013
Venice Florida
THIS IS on it's own thread , I was trying to combine but I did it wrong.

Everyone here on the forum helped me obtain the correct parts, and I started the repair. For some odd reason the clutch is so firmly attached ( spot welded? :) ) that I stripped my puller tool.I can't imagine that these clutches are so firmly attached that they could not come off with the amount of pressure I was using. Should I have used some heat to get it off, I am at a loss on what to do now. bairdco in this forum was kind enough to actually send me a puller and clutch assembly so I could get back on the road ( THANKS!! ) , Now I have the parts but a new puller isn't going to solve the problem. HELP !

Also I have obtained a parts motor from DAX, it had everything minus the head. I thought that I could just pull the head off my other motor use the secondary motor I have, but the piston is hitting the head. Are there different crank lengths? I would like to get motoring again but really need some help.

Thanks

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
That DAX bottom end sounds like it's a GT5. (???!) The Grubee engines have different strokes and pistons. The jugs are the same though.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
One other thing...I have seen two sizes of woodruff keys across kits too...can really be a hassle. I have used small keys in large slots without incident, although keeping the key in position while you install the gear can be really frustrating. Large keys can be ground down to fit the small slots.

jmc25fl

Sep 29, 2013
Venice Florida
Thank you for your advice, I will be trying to fix this this weekend. I have rented a jackhammer , a plasma cutter, and a rubber mallet. My problems should be solved, LOL