Help? Chain Broke,

GoldenMotor.com

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
Hey guys, I'm kind of a newbie so i would appreciate a little help if you could.
My chain snapped right off while i was riding, one of the links broke and i tried repairing it but its a nogo. so im going to wal-mart tomorrow to get a chain.

I know how to change a chain on a regular bike but the motor chain broke, and i know i have to take the cover off the feeder before i put it on, but is there anything else i need to do? and could anything else have broke besides the chain in this en-devour?
:-||

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Does your engine use the standard bike size chain?

If it does then you can get one at wally world, but if it uses the 415 size chain that most of the kits use, you'll need to order it off ebay, amazon or go to a local bike shop and ask if they have the heavy duty road bike chain hat is 1/2"x 3/16" pitch, you'll need a chain breaker or as I do I just use a 4 1/2" hand held electric grinder to cut the chain to the correct length.

hope this helps you out

Map

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hey guys, I'm kind of a newbie so i would appreciate a little help if you could.
My chain snapped right off while i was riding, one of the links broke and i tried repairing it but its a nogo. so im going to wal-mart tomorrow to get a chain.

I know how to change a chain on a regular bike but the motor chain broke, and i know i have to take the cover off the feeder before i put it on, but is there anything else i need to do? and could anything else have broke besides the chain in this en-devour?
Unless your motor is a Skyhawk that uses bicycle chain
on a thinner front 10 tooth sprocket Walmart won't have
the 415 chain that your motor kit use.

Go to Ace hardware or Farm Supply to get a # 41 chain.
41 is 1/16" wider than 415 but really works well on the 2
stroke kits and 4 strokes too.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
don't forget to take your spark plug out so you can turn the front sprocket while the clutch is unhooked : )

first, tho you should determine why it broke - usually it is due to the motor getting a bit loose & leaning to the left

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
Thank you all , im so glad you guys can help, but im not sure what chain i need, you said i need 415, but i put the broken chain up to a regular bike chain on my girlfriends bike and its the same size? im not sure are the 415 chains the same length but stronger links or what? and im trying to figure out why it broke, but i can tell its a old chain, i think it just took too much of a beating.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
415 is the same length between the roller pins as regular bicycle chain, but it is wider and has thicker sideplates for much more strength.
You can take your wheel with you and make sure the replacement chain fits the rear sprocket. If it fits the rear, it will fit the front.
You may have to grind a bit under the front sprocket cover to allow 415 or #41 chain to clear. It is the single best upgrade to any stock bicycle engine kit. Stock chains are junk even when new.
I use #41 HD roller chain from a local hardware store and my driveline is totally bulletproof. Never had a single problem using this chain.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I use KMC415H chain it or the #41 or 420 chain is the only ones I would use.

The KMC415H. Can be found on amazon. Com at a good price as well as the 41 chain.

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
thanks guys, but i know how to chang ea regular bike chain, but do i need to do anything else to put this chain on? besides taking the feeder case off?

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
chain breaker big enough to work or a Grinder and punch. Bicycle chain breakers will not work.

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
okay, just to make sure i do everything right and don't screw anything up, can someone hold my hand for a sec and tell me exact steps to replacing a chain? Would be much appreciated.