bike not starting,

GoldenMotor.com

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey everyone, i just finished putting together my bike with the 36 tooth sprocket, but the engine isnt starting, i think it might be something to do with the electronics, and i did adjust he c clip on the slide needle in the carby, and when ever i twist the throttle,i can hear a clicking noise in the carby, i think it could be the spring, just wanted to know what i could do to resolve these problems. thx! i made the mixture richer by putting the c clip one notch down.

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
check to see if you have spark on the plug.. then figure out if there is gas going to the chameber.. i find it helps to use straight gas to get them restarted. then change it back out to your mixed stuff.. also if it is vapor locked of a sort.. take the plug out and put a lighter over the hole... be very careful about doing this.. i always take my tank and carb off when i gotta do this.. sometimes the oil is just to thick..

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
check to see if you have spark on the plug.. then figure out if there is gas going to the chameber.. i find it helps to use straight gas to get them restarted. then change it back out to your mixed stuff.. also if it is vapor locked of a sort.. take the plug out and put a lighter over the hole... be very careful about doing this.. i always take my tank and carb off when i gotta do this.. sometimes the oil is just to thick..
Good advice about checking for spark but your idea of using
straight gas without oil and using a flame should be disregarded
and maybe edited out by a mod as someone may actually try it
with disastrous results.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Man this is the worse advice I have ever seen on here, sorry to be so blunt but wow..... I've heard it all now.... for anyone reading the post about using straight gas or holding a lighter over the sparkplug hole in head ......DONT EVER DO IT........!
Sorry thine82....but this kind of advice could get someone hurt bad, we have lots of newbies on here that might actually try something like this not realizing the danger and get burned the heck up.........! Dont mean for this to sound like a rant but this is disturbing to me....

Map.duh.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Man this is the worse advice I have ever seen on here, sorry to be so blunt but wow..... I've heard it all now.... for anyone reading the post about using straight gas or holding a lighter over the sparkplug hole in head ......DONT EVER DO IT........!
Sorry thine82....but this kind of advice c ould get someone hurt bad, we have lots of newbies on here that might actually try something lime this not realizing the danger and get burned the heck up.........! Dont mean for this to sound like a rant but this is disturbing to me....

Map.duh.
(hehehe) kind of like the guys you see on the news every couple of years that cleaned their BBQ with gasoline, *poof* ;-}

If you have good spark check your carp angle and if it is overflowing gas just pull you plug and with no throttle on pedal the thing around with the lutch out and blow all the crap out of your crankcase, you might be amazed what this one simple trick will fix when a bike won't start.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I considered editing out the advice about straight gasoline and an open flame over the spark plug hole. Other members have spoken up with strong opinions against this practice so my hope is that the advice will go unheeded by anyone reading this thread.

I'm sure the poster who suggested it might have done it and got away with it but I would consider that individual a very lucky man. The potential for an explosive reaction is very strong. Personal injury and/or property damage could be a result.

Please do not try that method of clearing a flooded engine. Ever.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Very unsafe! Also very bad for any pre-mix two stroke to burn straight gas, even for a few seconds.
DON'T DO IT!!!

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
thx mate, i think you are right, because there was some fuel coming out of my exhaust, its not burning any fuel for some reason do you think my fuel has gone bad,because it has been sitting for a few weeks

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It could be mixed incorrectly as well.
Too much oil (like 16:1) plus old gas can lead to no start.
Try some new fresh 32:1 and see what happens.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
fuel coming out of exhaust often mean you've filled the bottom of the motor with fuel and it won't usually start till you blow it out some

do you usually turn petcock off?

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey mate, i am running 16:1, and it is pretty old fuel, is there a big chance that could be the prblem, because everything on my bike is put together properly, but its not starting at all, btw, the kit i am using i have used before, it has ran very well.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
would 25:1 be alright?, because i have only been through about 3-4 tanks on my engine
In my opinion thats still a little rich on oil but it wont hurt anything, 32:1 or 40:1 is where I would be with a quality oil, actually I started mine on my 80:1 Opti2 mix after one or two of the 2 liter tanks and my last engine got 80-1 Opti right out of the box, has just under 1000 miles now without a single issue.

I think if the oil is high quality and the engine doesnt already have serious gonna fail before long issues ..... just run whatever your gonna run in it from the get go and if it fails it wasn't likely anything to do with the oil or the amount of it if it's quality oil and being used at its suggested ratio.

My next engine is gonna get 100:1 Opti2 with 1oz of Maxima Castor 927 per gallon which will bring it to 50-1 mix roughly...... and it will get it the first time the engine fires off until it blows up, it will break in when it does and I expect it to be a long life engine unless something in it is already marginalized.

Peace, map.wee.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I get about one bike a month in that won't start due to old fuel - usually about 8 months old won't run any more.

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey, yeah i do have a spark, what i done was i took the spark plug off teh head, attached it to the plug, put the plug on the head, and then span my rear wheel, i got a spark :)

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey guys thx for all the suggestions :), today i made a mixture of 32:1with high quality penrite oil, i emptied all the old fuel in my tank, but i still had old fuel in the fuel line and i think also in the carburettor, so i dont think that as soon as i try to start my bike it will start, do you guys think i should drain my carby?, if so what is the proper way of doing it? thanks everyone!:-||