Magneto magnet installation

GoldenMotor.com

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
Howdy folks. How do I determine if the magneto magnet is on properly? I had my buddy replace the crankshaft seal but now I don't seem to be getting any spark. The key is in place. On the magnet there's a slot which looks slides of the key when installing it. It that the proper way?
Hopefully you understand my question. It's a 66cc China girl.
Photo's would be handy if you have those too. I'm kinda new to 2 strokes.

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Make sure the magneto rotor isn't installed backwards, as noted in the link from crassius. You may have the Key slot at 1:00, but the polarity of the magnets maybe wrong. Use a compass like shown in the Great Magneto Mystery.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Make sure the magneto rotor isn't installed backwards, as noted in the link from crassius. You may have the Key slot at 1:00, but the polarity of the magnets maybe wrong. Use a compass like shown in the Great Magneto Mystery.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
Sorry Chris, you got this wrong. It would be impossible for this to happen unless the magnet was made backwards.

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
When the piston is at TDC the key way is at 1 o'clock

I think I may have a fried magneto. I'm not getting any ohm reading from it when testing it with a multimeter.
Biknut, magnet to mine, I noticed the slot where the key slips through, are off by a touch. Mine is more at the 12, yours at the 1 o'clock.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
try checking it from blue wire to the copper wires coming out of the top of the coil - sometimes that solder joint there goes bad

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think I may have a fried magneto. I'm not getting any ohm reading from it when testing it with a multimeter.
Biknut, magnet to mine, I noticed the slot where the key slips through, are off by a touch. Mine is more at the 12, yours at the 1 o'clock.
Are you sure your piston is at TDC (top dead center)?
The keyway in the crankshaft will always fall somewhere very close to what Biknut's photo shows if the piston is TDC.

Tom

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I'll check everything over again. I have a used magneto coming tomorrow to see if makes a difference in case mine is shot. I'll keep you updated. Or ask more questions if problems isn't solved.