engine sputtering-help

GoldenMotor.com

hcrft

Jan 4, 2013
NORTH CAROLINA
does anyone have suggestions on corrcting a sputtering engine. i have ruled out bad fuel, but i need suggestions on other ereas to look. i checked the seal in my NT carb and its in good shape. im going to check the intake gasket for leaks, and the exhaust gasket is new

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
try a fresh spark plug & check plug wire & boot - also, be sure motor is tight in frame (not shaking carb too much)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If it is a new motor, they take some miles to smooth out. You can try lowering the needle since every motor I've seen was really rich from the factory.
Also, DO NOT USE the factory recommended 16:1 ratio. This is far too much oil. Use 32 or 40:1.
I'd wait until you have a few tanks of fuel through it before doing any real tuning.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Replace the kit spark plug boot. It is without a doubt the weakest link in the kit parts. Go to any auto parts store and buy a good, automotive quality boot. The 90 degree ones work best for our applications. A good spark plug is the other item that will help.

Tom

rlberry

Apr 20, 2012
Rockford, IL
Replaced boot and plug and that fixed it but now I'm having the same problem on another bike. This is BS. I'll check the readings tomorrow and I will post them but for now im calling it a day.