A new breed of "no spark"

GoldenMotor.com

bustedoring

Jun 2, 2013
Sanford, Florida
Hey all this is my first post, I've been a lurker here for quite some time reading threads and learning. Well I finally made an account. I am having a no spark issue, I tried using the search button before making a new thread, I could not find another problem like mine.

Here's what's going on, I have a (as advertised) 80cc chine girl from boygofast. BYW imo he isn't a bad person and his customer service is good. Anyway, I rode it for like a week or 2. Had no problems until recently, It started bogging like it was misfiring, then it just stopped and wound not start so I walked it home and checked it out.

I could not seem to find the reason why the sparking has stopped but it did, I went over to autozone and bought an NGK B6HS, gaped it and threw it in. No spark. I bought a new CDI, no spark. Now i'm questioning the magneto coil. I used my multimeter set it to ohms and did some testing, here are my scores:

(Note: (+) means red lead on multimeter, (-) means black )

Magneto:

(-) to black (+) to white = nothing
(-) to blue (+) to white = 335-336k ohms

CDI:

(+) to blue (-) to black = nothing (which is correct)
(+) to black (-) to blue = 75-80k ohms
(+) to spark plug (-) to blue = 79.1k ohms

Low range 20k

(+) to spark plug (-) to black = 2.3k ohms

Now I literally just realized if i screwed up on getting the NGK spark plug, I got an NGK B6HS was I supposed to get an NGK BP6HS? What's the difference?

:-||

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Hey all this is my first post, I've been a lurker here for quite some time reading threads and learning. Well I finally made an account. I am having a no spark issue, I tried using the search button before making a new thread, I could not find another problem like mine.

Here's what's going on, I have a (as advertised) 80cc chine girl from boygofast. BYW imo he isn't a bad person and his customer service is good. Anyway, I rode it for like a week or 2. Had no problems until recently, It started bogging like it was misfiring, then it just stopped and wound not start so I walked it home and checked it out.

I could not seem to find the reason why the sparking has stopped but it did, I went over to autozone and bought an NGK B6HS, gaped it and threw it in. No spark. I bought a new CDI, no spark. Now i'm questioning the magneto coil. I used my multimeter set it to ohms and did some testing, here are my scores:

(Note: (+) means red lead on multimeter, (-) means black )

Magneto:

(-) to black (+) to white = nothing
(-) to blue (+) to white = 335-336k ohms

CDI:

(+) to blue (-) to black = nothing (which is correct)
(+) to black (-) to blue = 75-80k ohms
(+) to spark plug (-) to blue = 79.1k ohms

Low range 20k

(+) to spark plug (-) to black = 2.3k ohms

Now I literally just realized if i screwed up on getting the NGK spark plug, I got an NGK B6HS was I supposed to get an NGK BP6HS? What's the difference?

:-||
Disconnect your kill switch, sometimes that can interfere with the spark
all of your numbers look right I believe it should be working
and b6hs should be the right plug the p in it might mean extended check thread length

Last edited:

bustedoring

Jun 2, 2013
Sanford, Florida
The kill switch was disconnected while I was testing. I'll check the plug length later when the sun comes up. But what confuses me is that I won't get a spark when I growing it to the head and spin the wheel...

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
The kill switch was disconnected while I was testing. I'll check the plug length later when the sun comes up. But what confuses me is that I won't get a spark when I growing it to the head and spin the wheel...
other than maybe not having it grounded right that's got me stumped
You have the magneto, the CDI, and the kill switch. that's the electrical
you know I have heard about a few people have-ting to replace the boot with
auto grade
hope someone can answer your question or give you more help tomorrow
Oh and welcome to the club!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
those mag test numbers aren't right - looks like your coil has a problem where it is soldered to the armature (black to either other wire should get a reading)

bustedoring

Jun 2, 2013
Sanford, Florida
those mag test numbers aren't right - looks like your coil has a problem where it is soldered to the armature (black to either other wire should get a reading)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But the ground isn't soldered down its an eye thing crimped on and screwed to the to one of the bolts holding the magneto coil in place.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
nope, that's just where the wire attaches

the ground for your coil is at the top - you should see 2 small wires coming out of the coil that are soldered to the armature right near the top corner - clean them & resolder

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It sounds like the coil to me also, try removing the coil and sanding the back side where it touches the case. I had one that had so much clear on it the ground to the case was not good, also sand the area where the screw head and wire eylet contact the coil. The b6hs will work fine, the difference is the bp6hs has the extended tip.

bustedoring

Jun 2, 2013
Sanford, Florida
It sounds like the coil to me also, try removing the coil and sanding the back side where it touches the case. I had one that had so much clear on it the ground to the case was not good, also sand the area where the screw head and wire eylet contact the coil. The b6hs will work fine, the difference is the bp6hs has the extended tip.
I'll def try that tomorrow. I appreciate the assistance thus far.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Well I do not own a soldering iron. Would it be better for me to just order a new magneto from somewhere. Hopefully no more than 10 to 12 dollars?
...while i think a new magneto coil is probably a good idea, i strongly urge you to spend another 10 or 12 bucks and get yourself a soldering iron, they're cheap to buy and almost brain-dead easy to use and having another tool is always a good investment.

...frankly i'm surprised that you'd own a multimeter and not a soldering iron, you have the tool to test for the problem, now maybe you should invest in the tool to actually fix it.

...here's one at Amazon for 20 that looks like a really nice deal with variable voltage and a built-in stand, that's the biggest hassle with soldering irons, where to put them down when you need your hands.

Soldering Station Features Continuously Variable Power Between 5-40W, a 1.5mm Pointed Tip

peace, bozo

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you might find a used iron at a thrift store really cheap

if the problem was caused by too more vibration (or worst case by the left main going bad so that the rotor is hitting the magneto) you may be doing this fix quite often

bustedoring

Jun 2, 2013
Sanford, Florida
...while i think a new magneto coil is probably a good idea, i strongly urge you to spend another 10 or 12 bucks and get yourself a soldering iron, they're cheap to buy and almost brain-dead easy to use and having another tool is always a good investment.

...frankly i'm surprised that you'd own a multimeter and not a soldering iron, you have the tool to test for the problem, now maybe you should invest in the tool to actually fix it.

...here's one at Amazon for 20 that looks like a really nice deal with variable voltage and a built-in stand, that's the biggest hassle with soldering irons, where to put them down when you need your hands.

Soldering Station Features Continuously Variable Power Between 5-40W, a 1.5mm Pointed Tip

peace, bozo
Lol I agree, I used to use a low wattage wood burner. I will get one I needed one before and yes they are insanely easy to use. I appreciate all the help guys.

bustedoring

Jun 2, 2013
Sanford, Florida
Just an update , I went to ace hardware and bought a soldering gun. Spenyt more than I should of but I did resolder the ground. Actually I used a dremel and sanded it all around except for where the rotor spins then resoldered it and it works perfectly again. I appreciate all your guys' help. I will be clicking the thanks button for everyone who replied before this post. Once again I really appreciate it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't think you tested the magneto coil correctly. Forget the white wire for now. Check between the black, and blue wires. You should see about 350 ohm. Magneto coils are easy to kill. Keep you plug gap 0.025"

There's no way to test the cdi box except substitution. They don't fail very often.

B6HS, and BP6HS are the same heat range, but the BP is extended tip.