Chain falls off?

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
anyone ever make a really good measurement of the valleys of the sprocket in relation to the tips of the teeth - I sometimes feel that perfect alignment according to the teeth still leaves the chain with some unexplained run out like the valleys aren't concentric with the tooth-ends
I don't see how that would be possible. You know how good Chinese quality control is.laff
fatdaddy.
Sorry crassius, just trying to be funny. And I didn't want to start (another dispute,) with the folks that SWEAR you can get it PERFECT with just PATIENCE. Well, NO, Not always. Sometimes the sprocket is simply not stamped out perfectly. Theres about 10 factory's that make these kits, and most of the workers are probably 10 year old kids making 25 cents a day. Just a fact of life in a lot of other country's. So SOMETIMES ya just gotta get it as close as ya can and adjust it from the tight spot.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey dodge, There are literally thousands of rag joints out there working just fine. As long as your chain ain't jumping off and YOU are happy with it, Then yer OK. Personally, I gotta have the chain hitting dead center on the sprocket. If the chain is REAL close to begin with, sometimes you can "Push" the chain a little with the tensionor. A 1/16" push in or out on the thing is sometimes all it needs to let the chain ride a little better. BUT, Like I said. This only works if your chain is VERY, VERY close to begin with.
fatdaddy.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've found that trying to get the chain perfectly centered on the sprocket seems to reduce problems. I tweak the tensioner bracket with a HUGE crescent wrench until the chain rolls onto the sprocket perfectly dead center when spinning the wheel forward AND backwards. So far, so good.
I have seen some off center sprocket holes and was able to make even the bad ones work with lots of tuning and testing.
Now that I have a lot of parts laying around, I just swap out the bad ones.... and use them for ninja practice!
*flings kit sprocket at tree, hits self in junk with the rebounding sprocket*

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
*flings kit sprocket at tree, hits self in junk with the rebounding sprocket*

DUDE, That's gotta leave a mark, I mean, I don't wanna see it, but it's gotta leave a mark. The reason thats so funny is cause I've done crap like that a million times. Usually with all my friends watching.
And sly, If ya don't know exactly what size ya need you can get one that don't wanna roll over the sprockets right. Yeah, I was a newbie at one time myself and learned the hard way.
fatdaddy.