Seems to be missing.

GoldenMotor.com

Dasmailca

Mar 20, 2013
Nova Scotia
Yesterday I took the bike for an approx. 30 mile ride it worked excellent. I had made a few stops along the way. During the last leg on the way home it started to lag ,like it was missing.It would run smooth, then lag, then run smooth,lag and so on. I had to go to work so I had no time to tinker. Today I changed the plug wire (not the plug). No difference . I haven't got as much speed and maybe more vibration. Any ideas ?

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
That's too much.Go to 24:1 much better!Instruction are wrong.It will run a lot better stay at 24:1 for a tank or 2.then go to 32:1 and stay there.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
If you changed the mixture to 16 to 1 what mixture were you running on the first 2 gallons?
I'm wondering the same, perhaps he went the wrong way with the mixture?
I like to break in with a first gallon of 20:1, second gallon 24:1, and then settle in on a standard mix of 32:1 (conventional 2-stroke oil, NOT marine type)
Post back and let us know about your mixture for more help, it's useless to comment about other things if you added more oil to your mix, cause thats most likely your problem.
If not the mix, then I would tell you to clean the carb (make sure to clean the jet and needle valve), make sure your fuel filter is clean (run an inline filter if you don't already have one), make sure the air filter is clean, and check your spark plug to see whats going on in there.....

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
change ur plug,
drop ur mix as suggested above( do NOT exceed manufacturers specifications)
and retune ur carb. if u change ur mix, u change the air/fuel ratio.. therefor the carb needs to be re-adjusted.

hope u get this straighted out.xct2

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
sounds like a plugged fuel filter in the tank to me
Or in the carb. Bet you didn't put on an inline fuel filter.

Pull your petcock and clean the screen, drop the bottom of your carb, remove the float and clean the fuel inlet, then blow out your fuel jet (center top of carb, what your float wraps around).

Dasmailca

Mar 20, 2013
Nova Scotia
Finally got back to the bike this morning. I decide to each suggestion one at a time to pin down the problem. Changed the gas ratio and went for a ride after just about 5 mins. the chain let go. Went to princess auto and bought a new#41 chain and installed it. No difference. Put on a new plug wire and a new NKG plug. I had only put 2 tanks of gas through it before, but never the less,I still followed all suggestions. Checked filter in tank(it was ok) and cleaned it. I did have an inline filter (the one that came with the kit) however I installed a new one as well as new fuel line. I followed Maxvision's instructions with the carb, all to no avail. It still works exactly the same.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Assuming you've mounted the motor so that the carburetor bowl is as close to level with the horizon as possible so choking off gas supply accelerating or decelerating wouldn't be the problem.

Did you check the tightness of your head bolts, carburetor intake bolts, lower case bolts?

Did your gas tank have plenty of gas in it?

Did you check the wires from your cut-off switch that it's not intermittently grounding?

Did you check the wires from your magneto that they're fully connected to your CDI? Sometimes the push on connectors loosen up though they look like they're still connected.

Did you check the wires from your magneto under the magneto cover that the solder joints aren't coming loose or that the grounding wire is screwed on tight?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Finally got back to the bike this morning. I decide to each suggestion one at a time to pin down the problem. Changed the gas ratio and went for a ride after just about 5 mins. the chain let go. Went to princess auto and bought a new#41 chain and installed it. No difference. Put on a new plug wire and a new NKG plug. I had only put 2 tanks of gas through it before, but never the less,I still followed all suggestions. Checked filter in tank(it was ok) and cleaned it. I did have an inline filter (the one that came with the kit) however I installed a new one as well as new fuel line. I followed Maxvision's instructions with the carb, all to no avail. It still works exactly the same.
Please confirm for us what fuel/oil mix you ran for the first two gallons, and what mix you changed to before this happened. You indicated to changed TO 16:1 which doesnt make any of sense, so you need to clear that up to get good advice.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Oh no,oh no. I reversed the fuel ratios and used the wrong one for break in!
Oh no.
Hey, I am gonna ask you just one more time.... What was the fuel mix you used the for the first two gallons and what ratio did you change to? You need to just answer the question and stick to the facts if you want someone to give you proper help. If you used the wrong ratio its not the end of the world, as long as you didn't seize up your motor you are probably OK.
So just level with us about the fuel mix to start....

What mix did you run for the first two gallons?

What mix did you switch two when it started missing?

What mix are you running now?

Give us proper information and we will help you get back on track, if you keep avoiding giving direct answers we are unable to help you and I will have to stop reading your thread, because its useless if you don't give us proper honest feedback on what is going on....

Dasmailca

Mar 20, 2013
Nova Scotia
Nightcruiser, I did not mean to raise your ire. Believe me, I appreciate all your help.
I'm a little mechanically inclined and like to tinker, so I'm embarrassed that I got this backwards.
I started with 50:1 and switched to 16:1 on the day the problem started.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
16 to 1 is way too oil and should never be used.

50 to 1 could be OK if the oil is rated for it.

What brand of oil did you use and what is that oils recommended mix ratio?

Most pro builders that I know of break the motors in on 32 to 1 and
do not use an increased ratio for the first few gallons.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Nightcruiser, I did not mean to raise your ire. Believe me, I appreciate all your help.
I'm a little mechanically inclined and like to tinker, so I'm embarrassed that I got this backwards.
You didn't raise my ire, I just know we can't help you unless you give us the real details of the situation.
IMHO 50:1 is pretty light on oil for conventional 2-stroke, even for after break-in. There are differing opinions, I like to stick to 32:1 for my regular mix, my motor runs well and gets plenty lubricated.

As others have said, 16:1 is a LOT of oil to run and can make the motor run like crap (contrary to what the manual says, most people never use that much oil), so what you are experiencing is kinda par for the coarse. It's hard to tell if riding at 50:1 during break-in has caused you any trouble from what you have posted here, generally trouble would be pretty obvious and catastrophic, so you're probably OK if you still have good compression and she isn't (or didn't) make any horrific noises.

I am wondering how much of the 16:1 mix you burned through after you changed to that mix? If it was a fair amount then you might try moving to 32:1 mix and see how she runs with that. I would also check/re-torque the head bolts, make sure the air filter is clean, fuel filters are clean, carb is clean, replace or clean the spark plug (upgrade to a better plug if possible). You may need to do some tuning to your carb to make it run properly (which is not related to your mistake with the oil mixture, it's just par for the coarse with these little HT motors)

So give that stuff a try and see how you do and report back, hopefully we will get you back on track and you can chalk it up to exprience.....