Oh no! wont start!!!

GoldenMotor.com

zakmllr

Mar 26, 2013
California
Hi guys and gals! New to the forum, so not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. I've just finished building my first bicycle engine kit and I really appreciate the help from previous threads I've read on here before joining. It really gave me a good sense of accomplishment finishing this build, that is, until I filled it up and tried starting it for the first time, and then... NOTHING! I followed the install instructions perfectly so I'm unsure what it may be, i double checked everything but i did and the jaguar CDI to the build, I wired it exactly as instructed. The first time riding it I had to break the clutch in because it was stuck from shipping so it pedals fine now,and when i drop the clutch it doesn't even sputter, or chug, or whatever you specifically call the noise from one of these. I have an expansion chamber exhaust on it as well but i can't see how that could affect the start at all. So I'm wondering if this could be a problem with the carb maybe? The needle has 5 slots and the clip is on the middle one. Any suggestions? :-||

Last edited:

zakmllr

Mar 26, 2013
California
Oh yes, there's a spark, i just checked it by accidentally shocking myself by holding the spark plug in my hand and spinning the pedals.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
from what im reading, it sounds like the clutch is too loose.
can u pedal it, when u drop the clutch?? or does it just skid to a stop??

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
without compression it will most always turn the engine easily - you need to see if the engine is turning with compression or if the clutch is just slipping - try taking the 4 screws out of the magneto cover and watching the rotor to see if it turns

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It feels like more drag bug when I remove the head and push the pedals I can see the piston movement
Don't do this. With the cylinder head removed there is nothing to hold the cylinder in place but a stuck gasket. If you pedal the bike with the head removed the cylinder could come off of the case and you could do some serious damage to the piston, cylinder walls and other stuff.

Tom

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Don't do this. With the cylinder head removed there is nothing to hold the cylinder in place but a stuck gasket. If you pedal the bike with the head removed the cylinder could come off of the case and you could do some serious damage to the piston, cylinder walls and other stuff.

Tom
2door is right. to check that the engine is turning over do as crassias suggested or remove the clutch cover and Look for the large gears moving

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I did, but not the flower nut, I had a problem with the other screw coming loose (the one keeping the small gear on) and punching its way right through the clutch cover. as long as the nut is tight and held there with the little screw between the "petals", you should be fine, though I've never heard of flower nut scraping.

zakmllr

Mar 26, 2013
California
It is the flower nut. Searched for it like you asked and there's really not too much on it surprisingly. One fellow said he noticed it happening to one of his engines and the flower nut eventually just cut out a space in the cover and it wasn't scraping anymore. I really don't feel like waiting for that to happen.