Advice for V-Twin build

GoldenMotor.com

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
After some much needed experience from my first build (inexperienced first build) and a little more time on the TIG welder I decided to start collecting parts for my "pretty bike". I have searched the internet and found a couple of builds and I've searched this forum but I still would like some advice. I found a B&S Vanguard V-twin for a whole $23 already. I can't wait to tear into it. I'm thinking it's time to step up to motorcycle parts for strength. I'd like some suggestions on frame dia tubing (I'm thinking 1"), wheels and tires (so far I found a nice Dunlop but it's only 19in) I was wanting to run large wheels 24-26" but can't find any dirt bike rims in that size. What size do the vintage board track racers have anyway? Motorcycle clutch or CVT? I know I'll use a crush drive for the rear sprocket (learned that from the experience of the V-Twin cyclone builder).
I'm open to all suggestions
thanks for your experience and help guys

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
On my current build I've used motorcycle parts for what I haven't made, I used 21" motorcycle wheels and 21 x 3 motorcycle tires that are dot rated and cost about $25.00 a piece which end up being more than 27" o.d. Also motorcycle brakes/ hubs are very affordable used and provide better braking than expensive bicycle hubs. My front hub is from a Honda xl185, I got it off eBay, laced to a rim and tire that I've been useng for mock up for under $50.00 shipped. I am using a moped rear hub that has a heavy chain ring that bolts onto the hub on the left side and has threads on the right for a freewheel if I choose to use pedals, this was about $45.00 brand new. I've been using 1" .120 wall Dom for the main loop of my frame and 3/4" for the rear triangle, this combo look great and is plenty strong, on my next build I might use 1 1/4 for the main loop to give a little beefier look. This is just what I've used so far, I plan on using a cvt for transmission and have a 212 cc predator motor. It's great that you are looking into motorcycle parts as they are such a better value than bicycle parts.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Congrats on the 23$ briggs vanguard. I'm with John on the use of MC parts, they are readily available, inexpensive and will provive a safer riding enviroment. I'm using 21in MC rim one is 1.6 inch wide the other is 1.75 both have drum brakes. I'll use 21x3 in avons tire height just over 27inches. I'll be running a pre unit gear box either 2,3, or 4 speeds (I have 3 of them). I'm using 1in (DOM) and 3/4 (13ga.) tubing. I'm using a 29CI Gravely Model L engine. Just remember to build safe and ride safe.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
For the most part actual antique BTR’s used 28” x 2.5” to 3” clincher tires.

I agree that modern 21” wheels are a economical, safe, and reasonably good looking substitute.

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
Congrats on the 23$ briggs vanguard. I'm with John on the use of MC parts, they are readily available, inexpensive and will provive a safer riding enviroment. I'm using 21in MC rim one is 1.6 inch wide the other is 1.75 both have drum brakes. I'll use 21x3 in avons tire height just over 27inches. I'll be running a pre unit gear box either 2,3, or 4 speeds (I have 3 of them). I'm using 1in (DOM) and 3/4 (13ga.) tubing. I'm using a 29CI Gravely Model L engine. Just remember to build safe and ride safe.
Thanks for the info. Can you give more info on the gear box?

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Thanks for the info. Can you give more info on the gear box?
A gear box is a transmission ,seperate of the engine. I have and early harley 2 speed a BSA 3 speed and a 4 speed out of a Norton. Keep a eye out on ebay you can find em reasonably priced from time to time.

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
This is not where you want to go at any time guy's
Nah, throw some Indian stickers on it and you got yourself a BTR lol. I'm not knocking that bike but it's not my style at all. Would you believe I'm not a 2 wheeler guy? I'm more of a drag racing and hot rod guy. This all started when I was building my hot rod. I knew if I wanted a good safe hot rod I needed more experience with metal fab and welding so I choose to put together a motorized bicycle and while surfing for ideas as to how I ran across BTR's and fell in love with the look. Now I'm using money I'm supposed to be putting in my mustang this winter to build a couple of these bikes. I told myself next summer I will pull the front wheels off the ground even if it's just the front left and only enough to see daylight that was my goal. Well maybe 2014 will be the year cause I'm hooked on these bikes.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Post a pic of the Stang, The first car I learned how to drive was my Dads 1966 Shelby Gt 350, he later sold it to a guy who wrapped it around a telephne pole what a waste, today that car would have been close to a Mil if not more at auction, love! those Horses found a 1965 fastback sitting in a field and have been bugg'n the guy for the last two years to sell , he won't sell it, something about it was his first car in high school and it has sentimental value, if not it being a Stang it ain't worth a pile of rocks,floor pan rusted out and no front end, Shame!
I got into the BTR"s because I would never be able to afford the cars my Dad currently owns
"40 Ford coupe,"36 Ford coupe,"51 Tudor conv,"30 Ford AA flat bed "56 Ford f 100 big window, "68 VW bug Conv 2200 engine, "80 Corvete Flat dash "57 Ford 2dr Custom,"69 Ford Mustang fastback GT, and the last is the best of all "2000 Indian Road Master Custom/3,200.00 miles on it all restored and running, pic's of the 36 Coupe and 51 Conv are some where in my thread Blood Thursty they were in a car show this last Aug/Sept?

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
Dang I thought it was a direct link to my car. Mine is the silver one with orange stripes and thumpr cams. YouTube rakkassan34 n you'll see it

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Looks like it's only a couple of years old, if it has the original engine and for some reason something goes wrong keep the engine, my Dad replaced his in the "66 in "74 he kept the engine,rebuilt it and still has it to this day waiting for the day when he can find a nice "66 Fast back.
Here are a couple of pic's of the Girls and the Old Man(1930 AA) I want to do a Photo Op with the Old Man hauling the Indian.

Attachments

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
Nice! I've yet to find a 30's ford truck body for our father son rat rod project but I have a lot of work to do before I even start seriously looking.