Need help deciding

GoldenMotor.com

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
My car is going on the auto-lot very soon. I salivate over the Skyhawk GT2A frames but I cannot find one. My dilemma is this, I can sell my car and bum rides/walk for a while but not forever.

So I had the idea to buy a beach cruiser from Bikeberry and a motor, put it together, get used to riding while waiting for the Skyhawk's to be re-ordered unless someone knows otherwise and then take all the parts (rims handlebar seat motor) and put them on the Skyhawk when I get one.

Does this sound like a decent plan? If this project wasn'tin the hundreds of dollars I woudln;t be asking this question but I can't dive into this blindly.

Any input is appreciated.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
you are probably better off with a good steel cruiser look for one with dual V brakes or at least V brakes on the front you cant just relight on a coaster brake i wouldn't at least
at 25-30mph you want all the break you can get disks or drums are better but don't normally come on cruisers

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
lot of cruisers are coaster brake now you need to try if you want a V brake bike i have a Schwinn jaguar it has all of the basic things you need for a motor bike dual V brakes 7 speed and a steel frame

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
You can build a whole bike almost for the cost of the gt frame..... Lots of multispeed cruiser bikes w/ dual brakes for under 200$....

Build it and then start customizing the things you want......

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
How much better are 7 speeds vs fixed? Santa Rosa is a very flat town. The GT is 200, parts are 200, motor is 200. I am starting to see the big picture. I am giving up my car though so I want this to be what I want ya know.

On a different note, what do you all think about the jackshaft from Sickbikeparts? Does change the operation, like losing the use of the freewheel or something? I just don't dig the double sprocket.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
The jackshaft from sbc is the bees knees... if youve never built a bike before it is probably an undertaking your not ready for......

My bike is my sole form of transportation.... Baby steps, these are not build and leave alone types of transportation.....

Geared bikes are nice for the dual brakes, gears are nice for peddling when not using the motor, and coaster brakes suck when shyt gets hairy....

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Haha I know you mean Borntofli about sh*t getting real on the road. If I ever get a Skyhawk I'll buy a 28' chopper fork and if everything fits hopefully the Micargi parts.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Looks like I'll be riding a chopper style Skyhawk soon. Thank you all for putting up with obnixous n00b questions, I'm sure I'll come up with some more when I have everything.