Best cruisers to work with

GoldenMotor.com

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
I'm getting ready to start a first build, and I want to work with a quality chassis. I'm not sure I want to pay for a Felt or a Worksman at this point (I'll save one of those guys for the board tracker ...), but I want a well-built bike with good bones and good welds, rims and wheels that I won't have to worry about early in the game. This lets out most of the $90 bikes at Walmart ...
One bike that caught my eye is the Electra Cruiser, but I could also go Schwinn.
The wild card is that at this point I don't know if I am going to just go the cheap Chinese 2-stroke route or go with the HS 4-stroke and a EZM transmission. So frame dimensions will be critical, as I am not a welder or a machinist, even a little bit. This will have to be a bolt-together and go kind of deal. The one non-kit item I may be willing to pay more for is any alternative to the peanut gas tank.
So any suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i have a 200? Schwinn jaguar from a swap meet it works really well they used to be sold at wal-mart the only thing that would be nicer is if it had pull back dropouts instead of strait down ones.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I'm getting ready to start a first build, and I want to work with a quality chassis. I'm not sure I want to pay for a Felt or a Worksman at this point (I'll save one of those guys for the board tracker ...), but I want a well-built bike with good bones and good welds, rims and wheels that I won't have to worry about early in the game. This lets out most of the $90 bikes at Walmart ...
One bike that caught my eye is the Electra Cruiser, but I could also go Schwinn.
The wild card is that at this point I don't know if I am going to just go the cheap Chinese 2-stroke route or go with the HS 4-stroke and a EZM transmission. So frame dimensions will be critical, as I am not a welder or a machinist, even a little bit. This will have to be a bolt-together and go kind of deal. The one non-kit item I may be willing to pay more for is any alternative to the peanut gas tank.
So any suggestions or advice would be most welcome.
Well unless you buy your Schwinn at a Schwinn dealer you are buying the same junk that is sold in the big box stores from what I have heard.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got a huffy cranbrook at walmart for $75........2 years ago. Say what you want about walmart bikes, the cranny has held my 6 ft 2, 280 lb self for 2 years and shows no signs of stress yet.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
There's always eBay or CraigsList. Somebody scored a Worksman frame and fork for under $150 shipped tonight on eBay. Unless you are in a hurry you might just take a few days to cruise the online ads including the local press which is typically online well before hard copies hit the mailboxes. Never know what you'll find.

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
FP: Took a look at your suggested bikes, thanks. One question I had is, is it wiser to use a single-speed coaster-brake bike for a motor build vs. a 7-speed with front and rear cantilever brakes? Just wondering if there are advantages to one over the other as a motorized ride.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
I personally used the Clairmont and it works great...as far as 1 speed vs multi-speeds...Many people use both, so I think either one will work fine. I know if you do use the coaster brake you will probably want to add some form of front brake as well. So the cheaper option will probably be the Clairmont since it has front and rear brakes to begin with.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
In my personal experience, cantilever brakes are not the best option as the pads wear out quickly. It is better than having no front brake at all though. I run a heavy-duty rear coaster and a Worksman front drum. The Cranbrook has 12g spokes. I dont know what I did wrong, but I stripped a bearing on the cranbrook rear wheel. Luckily I already had another heavy duty wheel.

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
Guys, I stopped in at my local bike shop. I love the guy, an Army vet. He's got a late '20s Harley Davidson Cruiser right next to the 1887 Columbia high wheel, and bins of parts, if that tells you something.
Anyway, I asked him about quality cruiser frames and doing a safe, quality build. He is a Worksman dealer, but he suggested I consider the Sun Atlas heavy duty industrial bike. The specs looked good and the frame seems to have very useable geometry for a 50cc 4-stroke. We talked about adding a shock fork and Sturmey Archer drum front brake. I don't mind spending a little extra coin to get this "right" the first time, so I may go this route. I stopped at Wallace's World and saw the Cranbrook and Clairmont. Nice looking bikes, I will admit. For about $100 more, the Atlas is a better bike with better components, and a pro will go through the headset, crank, hubs and wheels.
I'm leaning this way. I'll do a search for Sun bike builds.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sun Atlas is a very good bike. Very stout and i love the look.

A buddy and I went ridding. I was on a wally world Point Beach and he was on his Sun Atlas. After a while we switched and man, really, really liked his. Felt so sturdy!

The one thing I did not like was it had coaster brakes. (Sun does have multi-speed and pad brakes) He was well adapt at using them and could lock up the rear end at will. My only problem with it (again, my inexperience with coaster brakes on a MB) is that at every stop sign or light, I did not have the pedals right to take off again. Folks well experienced with them sort of ghost pedal so as to end up with the more powerful leg ready to help with take off.

But that is really a personal preference thing. Also I greatly enjoy having gears. (does help!) The Sun Atlas is a really, really great bike.

How cool a work MB, rack mount would this make? http://www.sunbicycles.com/product_detail.php?short_code=Atlas+Cargo

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
They are awesome. (Worksman) I had the good fortune to tour their factory. I was just there to buy a wheel. The Great grand son in law (I hope I got that right) asked if I would like to see the place. Was uber cool! They had rooms filled with old bikes that never made it to market or were discontinued. It was an old world sort of factory and more like rooms then sections. We went from room to room as folks worked. Every one said hello and did not seem surprised to see visitors.

But back on topic, they really do make a great and high quality bike.

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
Well, I ordered the Sun Atlas industrial. Will replace the front fork and add cantilever brakes. Probably will go with a 4-stroke kit for this first build. Hope I am not getting in over my head.
Maybe someday the Worksman for an antique look.