Dax Friction drive converted to V belt drive

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I decided to scrap the 3 Cag pocket bike engines & use only Tanaka's.
Here is my latest project converting a DAX friction drive to v-belt drive. The friction roller slides off the 16mm shaft & a 5/8" V pulley fits nice & snug. I still had the rim-to-rim wheel pulley attached from a previous project. I get a few more mph's from v-belt drive compared to friction drive using the same engines & gearing (less friction). I just finished mounting the expansion chamber pipe & really like the added few mph on top. These little Tanaka 32cc engines are super reliable & once broken in have decent enough power for a bicycle.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Dave31,
I've gone full circle.
I started MB'ing with a small low powered Robin EH035.
Kicked it up a notch with a big power Lifan 98cc & then a few Cag stage 2 pocketbike engines. Now I'm back with two Tanaka powered MB's 32cc & 40cc. I really needed reliability/dependability more than anything & like the good power to weight ratios.
I'm also ok now with 40 mph max speed having gone a bit overboard building bikes capable of exceeding 50 mph...definitely not necessary or safe on a bicycle.
If only I knew this stuff back then, I'd have saved a bundle...lol
-Lowracer-

ABCity

Sep 3, 2012
NorCal
Great looking bikes! -would love to know your opinion on front vs back mounting and their different advantages/disadvantages

Jane

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
ABCity,
Thanks.
There are advantages & disadvantages to both mounting places.
Obviously there is noise, vibration, exhaust to consider.
I have found that for high speed handling, the front mount handles better.
I plan on installing 2 cage mounts on my fork lowers of the rear drive bike to carry 2 MSR bottles & add weight to the front end to aid handling. I also like having the engine out front to visually monitor whats going on in-case of drivetrain issues.
Each bike layout also helped dictate where I had to mount the engine. The rear suspension on 'The Beast' made it very challenging to rear mount & it has a fork with both cantilever mouting studs & disc brake tabs, so mounting onto the unused canti studs was simple. 'The Banshee' doesnt have the fork mounting points & I refuse to drill holes into any of my bikes (may convert them one day back to pedal only). It also has a nice walking beam rear suspension linkage arm in the perfect location to mount a friction drive channel directly to the pivot bearings simply by changing 2 bolts.
I like them both & each has its advantages/disadvantages.
-Lowracer-

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I decided to scrap the 3 Cag pocket bike engines & use only Tanaka's.
Here is my latest project converting a DAX friction drive to v-belt drive. The friction roller slides off the 16mm shaft & a 5/8" V pulley fits nice & snug. I still had the rim-to-rim wheel pulley attached from a previous project. I get a few more mph's from v-belt drive compared to friction drive using the same engines & gearing (less friction). I just finished mounting the expansion chamber pipe & really like the added few mph on top. These little Tanaka 32cc engines are super reliable & once broken in have decent enough power for a bicycle.
-Lowracer-
Hi Low,
Glad to see your build, all is well, and the engine got to you as promised.
Thanks Again,
"OCC...FL"
:)

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
OCC,
I am digging the Tanaka & just waiting for that magical moment when this two stroke gets broken in & picks up that little extra power. I've changed the header pipe around a bit since the last pic to add about 10" of pipe before the expansion chamber. This seems to add to the effectiveness of the boost this type of pipe delivers...also got a new v-belt (messed up the old one with belt dressing---that stuff is overrated & a mess) & some new motorcycle bar end mirrors coming in the mail this week...
-Lowracer-

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
instead of belt dressing,use baby powder.the talc gives it traction and will keep belt from squealing.its an automotive shop trick for them noisy serpentine belt.
everybody was after my secret weapon when they discovered how well it worked.

belt dressing is for the old flat drive belts used on tractors that powered stationary balers or mandrel saws.
good looking bikes.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
tooljunkie,
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it one day if the new belt slips. I had slippage issues with the pocket bike engines due to the added power they produce. I havent had any slippage issues with these lower powered engines.
-Lowracer-

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I gotta say that you have made some of the most amazing and
innovative race bikes ever.
It has been inspiring to watch the evolution of your machines.

Would really like to see your bikes at the races. I know that you
and your bikes would do really well out on the track.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Motorbicycleracing,
My current setup for both these MB's is street use. The pocket bike engines I just retired would probably have made decent race bike powerplants. These Tanaka's aren't the most powerful engines avail but very reliable & great on fuel economy. I bet racing would be a hoot. I did alot of MTB, Road & Velodrome track racing on pedal-only bikes back in the day & always enjoyed the thrill of competition.
-Lowracer-

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Wow Low,
That builds wild. I hadn't seen this front belt drive
'til just now. Like the talc tip. Will use it when I go
back to my winter belt drive on the tanaka bike.
Friction's fine in the dry summer months, but not
so good in the wet. My custom concave 1 3/8"
is ok, the 7/8" not so good.
I can convert both my Dax & Staton to belt. You
inspired the 24" rim sheave which continues to
work very well for me.

Last edited: