Honda V50

GoldenMotor.com

cdavid67

Apr 4, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA.
I was looking at the Honda website. Has anyone ever tried one of these vertical mount 50 4 strokes? They use vertical engines in all the small cc dirt bikes from the factories.
It would be interesting to try one out but also didn't want to be the very first guinea pig. laff

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Do you have a pic of one? We used to have the 50cc little brother of the XR75/80 here in a miserably restricted form, although other markets got a version with far more life in them.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I was looking at the Honda website. Has anyone ever tried one of these vertical mount 50 4 strokes? They use vertical engines in all the small cc dirt bikes from the factories.
It would be interesting to try one out but also didn't want to be the very first guinea pig.
Honda makes a 50 cc vertical engine?
Do you have a link or a pic?

The smallest vertical engine I see is an 80 cc

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It would be interesting to try one out but also didn't want to be the very first guinea pig. laff
By all means, feel free to send me one......I'll be the guinea pig, I'm not afraid of no 50.

dnut

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Here is the picture. I imagine you could rotate it 90 degrees with carb on top and exhaust pointed down
That is NOT a motorcycle engine. :rolleyes:
and it isn't a vertical engine. It is a vertical shaft engine like
you would use on a lawn mower or a rototiller.

Why rotate it when Honda makes a horizontal shaft version???
That vertical shaft motor would be more expensive and hard to find.

That is the vertical shaft version of the Honda GXH 50 5/8" shaft motor which
has been used on motorized bikes for a long time.

The Huasheng 50 cc 4 stroke is a clone of the Honda GXH 50

Last edited:

cdavid67

Apr 4, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA.
I didn't state it was a motorcycle engine. Looking at Honda's picture it looked similar to the style used on small cc motorcycles today
I didn't realize it had a vertical shaft. My bad.
When I said rotate I meant rotate on cylinder axis so carb on top and exhaust facing down.
Anyway, sorry to waste anybody's time. :-||

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
This subject has been discussed before for different vertical shaft engines. Usually the idea is to orient the engine with the head on top. This has been done to Briggs flathead mower engines.

I believe this style of overhead valve engine could be done as well. You just have to make sure the moving parts under the valve cover are getting oil to them, design a mounting system and remount the carburetor so the bowl is back on the bottom.
...not easy, but possible.

The most interesting part of mounting one this way is that the exhaust would be pointed forward and the intake towards the back......sound like any type of engine you know of ? Single cylinder motorcycle engines perhaps ?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
There's a big difference between already having a vertical shaft engine and getting it to work versus intentionally buying a vertical shaft version of an engine tho.

The GXV50 has a different block than GXH50, but it does contain the base with the same mounting holes. You'd have to swap the carburetor and oil changes will be trickier due to the layout of oil filler and oil drain. Oiling mods may be necessary, but no one knows what just yet. Seems like unnecessary work when one can just go out and buy the horizontal shaft version (or clone/copy) of an engine that is known to work.

The exhaust is already pointed forward and intake is at the back on the horizontal shaft version of the engine.

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
Hey this is a good question. Are the valve stem seals on the honda 50 stronger withstanding to methanol gas. I've got the Huasheng and have only run NON METHANOL gas through it since day one. The problem now is that with all this hurricane weather the gas is taking a long time to get here.

If I run 90+ octane in it I'm worrying if it's going to trash the engine? If the honda valve stem seals are tougher to resist the methanol gas then the huasheng ones then I'm going to hafta change the engine on over to run the methanol 90+ octane.