Easy Choke Control

GoldenMotor.com

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
Re: Easy Choke Control - Problem Solved

As previously posted I could not get the engine to start without giving full choke but once started it ran fine and had full power. Another clue I overlooked is that it would only idle for a short time (30 seconds) and shut off by itself.

Well, I found the problem today by accident. I was checking the fuel filter and low and behold it would leak fuel when the hose was pushed up on the barbed nipple.

I found out that rubber fuel lines do not last forever. This one was about 12 months old.

Put on new fuel line and engine starts immediately without the choke.The small cracks in the end of the fuel line evidently allowed enough of an air leak to cause the problem.
HOSE.jpg

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ethanol fuels will attack most rubber. You can buy fuel line that is compatible but be prepared for the price. Most any auto parts store will carry it. If the fuel line is not ethanol resistant it should be replaced, or at least checked often.

I had a neoprene fuel line on my hot rod rupture when the car was setting in the garage. Over 10 gallons of gasoline drained onto my garage floor overnight. The line, a short section had turned to goo. Thankfully no fire. I also had one on my lawn mower collapse and was getting gooey. Ya gotta love alcohol lased gasoline.

Tom