HS142F Exhaust Too Loud

GoldenMotor.com

cdavid67

Apr 4, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA.
I am currently working on my second build project. I am using a HS142F 49cc engine with the Phantom exhaust. This exhaust is beautiful and really is nicely fabricated. My only problem is, it's very loud. I normally don't mind a nice performance sounding exhaust but I live in a nice quiet neighborhood and also don't want to attract much attention from the black and whites. Any ideas or other quiet exhausts out there. I recently bought the AGK big bore Honda Keihin that uses the extra throttle linkage so I will need a decent flowing exhaust to match this. I have also tried the AGK exhaust but is also loud and doesn't look as good as my Phantom piece. I should add I am using the Pirate Cycles ADA chrome air filter assembly also.
I'm not trying to advertise here but I wanted the reader to know the components I am using for an accurate recommendation.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I am currently working on my second build project. I am using a HS142F 49cc engine with the Phantom exhaust. This exhaust is beautiful and really is nicely fabricated. My only problem is, it's very loud. I normally don't mind a nice performance sounding exhaust but I live in a nice quiet neighborhood and also don't want to attract much attention from the black and whites. Any ideas or other quiet exhausts out there. I recently bought the AGK big bore Honda Keihin that uses the extra throttle linkage so I will need a decent flowing exhaust to match this. I have also tried the AGK exhaust but is also loud and doesn't look as good as my Phantom piece. I should add I am using the Pirate Cycles ADA chrome air filter assembly also.
I'm not trying to advertise here but I wanted the reader to know the components I am using for an accurate recommendation.
You must live in a very quiet neighborhood indeed! I have your exact same setup. While louder than stock I doubt your bike is as loud as your neigbors lawnmower at 3 times or more the displacement. We need pics of our ride! What trans are you using?

cdavid67

Apr 4, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA.
My Felt frame is being powder coated right now but will post pictures soon. I am using the 4G trans with a SBP shift kit. This will be hooked up to a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub. Looking forward to trying out gears in my not so flat area.
You're probably spot on with the lawn mower comparison but those seem to be an excepted form of noise pollution. People see you on a bike making that kind of noise and they get all pinched.
You can see my 1st build in my photo album.

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
Yeah as Quagmire said you must be in a seriously secluded neighborhood because with my bike with the same setup is not that loud. You can take the pipe apart. There is a bolt midway that you can loosen and stuff some steel wool in there.

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
ive been reading about using non flamible home insulation for exhaust packing(on a dirtbike forum).people are saying you can use but you will have to replace it more often and it will burn on high performance 250cc 2strokes and 450cc 4strokes. but we could probably get away with it, on our smaller engines. il try it when i build my new bike cause im using this muffler. http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=50953&d=1344974868 and it is used,so it does need a repack. il let you know how it works.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
ive been reading about using non flamible home insulation for exhaust packing(on a dirtbike forum).people are saying you can use but you will have to replace it more often and it will burn on high performance 250cc 2strokes and 450cc 4strokes. but we could probably get away with it, on our smaller engines. il try it when i build my new bike cause im using this muffler. http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=50953&d=1344974868 and it is used,so it does need a repack. il let you know how it works.
I brazed in a 1 inch copper line from the stock muffler and made a silencer out of 3" stove pipe, formed some perforated metal that accepts 1" line, a couple of end caps, then packed with regular fiberglass. That sits near the rear sprocket of the bike. I have never changed the packing so far in 2300 miles. Very quiet. Copper gets rid of heat that damages insulation quickly. I reduced the 1 inch line ( through trial and error) with a reducer and a 3/4 90 degee elbow, pointed down. out the back of the silencer. So far, nobody has complained about the noise, even on state trails. What noise there is sounds nice and the walkers know when someone is approaching from behind - without startle.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Fugi: Elegant solution. Photo?
I posted a photo here awhile back. Just increase the silencer pipe diameter from the muffler and you will have no problems with reduced HP.
I actually had a complaint the other day on the local trail that they didn't hear me comiing.