My project

GoldenMotor.com

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
Hello everyone my name is Jordan I live in Florida and here is my bike a work in progress. Should have it finished in a day or so.*It has Harley Davidson saddle bags the head lights are 60 year old RADSONNE from Germany. Since pictures we taken last night I have put on the sprocket the clutch and the throttle. I have the chain and chain gaurd and to drill holes to mount the saddle bags.

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
This is my fiirst build I am learning a lot and already want to change a few things. But very happy with the look but would like to clean it up by getting rid of some nuts and bolts with some welding. Replace the throttle and a few other things still need some tail lights and a speedometer.

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
I joind the forum almost a year and a half ago I have been admiring all of your work and reading all your posst and absorbing as much as I can. Last week i made the leap and purchased a motor kit and bike. I want to thank all of you, you all have had a hand in my inspiration and the building of my bike. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks again everyone! I would love to hear your thoughts on what I have done and please any advice on improving my build.
Jordan

Last edited:

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
You have a very nice light on there! It is nice to see something different every once in a while. Good job!
You don't see a lot of the radsonne lights let alone the the three set ones. I picked those up for $25 from a nice old man who had them on Craig's list. I actually bought them before I got the motor kit and bike. I knew how rare they were in the states and jumped on them!

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
Looking good! I chose a Clairmont for my first build, as well! Kind of wish I held out and found a vintage bike to clean up. Current production Schwinn's just don't live up to the name.

Good thing you can weld! You'll need if if you want to use your chain tensioner. After a near-wreck caused by my chain tensioner exploding my chain, I managed to do without out of shear luck. But you're better off with it, and welding it to the frame.

Also, that tensioner's mounting bracket needs to be bent to line the wheel up with the chain. It's hard to explain, but you'll see when you get there.

Only other problem I really has was the lower engine mount, but it looks like you managed that (hopefully without drilling).

I bought my kit on eBay from luckyearlybird. If you got the same kit, heads up: The throttle is wonky. Once assembled, there's almost zero travel in the throttle grip. It needs to be disassembled and a small shelf filed down to allow the throttle to back off. Otherwise, she's basically running on full all the time.

For a lead on a speedometer, the local Walmart has some Schwinn bicycle computers in their clearance aisle.

Also, as much as I like the look of the leather bags, they look heavy. You're probably going to end up removing them. Weight seems to be a bit of an issue. I had some old cloth saddlebags I wanted to use, but I'd have to shorten them (they aren't motorcycle saddlebags, they're ACTUAL saddle bags from the Indian Army or something! lol). I opted for a plastic milk crate mounted to the rear cargo frame. Not perfect, but easy!

Good luck!

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
The engine mount issues I resolved with a universal bracket and sike bikes and a rubber mount I had made. The tensioner I resolved that issue with some rubber belting and set screws. I haven't noticed any issues with the throttle. The sadle bags are removable in the picture I just have them sitting on there with wire I don't see any difference running them on or off but they area must for me have so most of the time they will be on. I got a lot of pointers from the guy I got the engine kit from he builds motorcycles he lives just a few miles down the road he was a big help!

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
Ok have spent much time on my bike but here are a few pictures of the mods I did fist is just the cut I made on my rear fender before need to smooth it up some. The second is a motor mount part of it is from Sick the other is a rubber block and some steal plate I combined the two and seems to work beautifully. I picked up my battery yesterday and doing all the wiring for my head lite and turn signals gotta find a small box to house the battery and a place to mount it. Any suggestions?

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
In about 9 hours I ride! Four holes to drill for the sadle bags and it's finished! Pictures to to come as it makes it's way outside for the first time. Just in time I have my next bike project that found its way into my gaurage yesterday. I have a go cart and mini bike I need to finish for my son.

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
I still have to wire my turn signals and attach the dash hope to knock it out today or Tuesday on my next day off. I have to turn my sprocket around as well. Really only looking at a couple more hours at most. I wil take lots of pictures to post when it's all done. I may pick up a springer fork but not until I get my electric bike and my sons go-kart finished. My goal was to make a bike look like a early 1900's motorcycle I am very pleased with my results.

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
The sadle bags have a dual purpose they are storage for one and they stabilize the rear fender. I am not sure I like the placement of the dashboard. So I am going to mess with that some. I still have to mount my turn signals I have the switch done bit have to fabricate a mount for the lights themselves.