Can't get the chain door on the motor open!

GoldenMotor.com

RuiGomes

Jul 16, 2012
Portugal
I've bought a regular 2T "Happy Time" engine and I mounted everything succesfully, but now I can't get that "door" that covers the engine gear so I can get the chain through there.

I've used WD40 and even asked my dad which is my go to guy when things don't open and he failed to open that too.

As I have my clutch already installed, I've tried to activate the clutch and manually pass the chain, but it doesn't go all the way through (not sure why), when the first chain bit is almost leaving the gear, the gear itself stops moving.

Any ideas to fix this problem? I really want to get my bike out there!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try this: Use a screwdiver of the proper size and hold it firmly into the screw head then give it a good whack with a hammer. It might loosen the screws for you. Just a little heat from a propane torch might help too. Don't cook the engine case just warm it up. The aluminum will expand quicker than the steel screw and will help loosen the grip.
It's important to use the right screwdriver however. It must fit the screw head.

As for feeding the chain into the sprocket, you might have luck by tying a string to the end link and if you get the string through, pull it as you turn the sprocket with a screwdriver. What happens is the first link to pass over the sprocket will bind inside the case and not follow the sprocket teeth. If you get it passed that point it will go easy from there.
By the way, that "door" is called the clutch actuator cover. It contains the cam which operates the clutch mechanism.

Good luck, let us know how you do.
Tom

Last edited:

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I had to use an impact driver on those screws the first time around. The screws that came with my kit were extremely soft and would strip easily; I replaced them after I removed them.