Kit for Titan XC50S with Jackshaft

GoldenMotor.com

TYJesus

Jul 11, 2012
Walla Walla, WA
Looking for a kit that has Titan XC50S with Jackshaft and reliable gearbox and all the accessories to get it to work, in frame.

If there is not ONE kit made yet, what gear boxes work with both the jackshaft AND Titan XC50S?

Thank you,

David

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
There's definitely no kit with all the parameters you list. There are also no known gearboxes that will work with them (SBP jackshaft), either.

The 4G may work, but currently no one carries the model that will work with your engine. The Dax gearbox may work, but so far no one has done it.

Maybe you can be the first! There's always the custom route, too.

TYJesus

Jul 11, 2012
Walla Walla, WA
I discovered the Mountain bike I am looking at does not meet the space that SBP is requiring for their shift kit. hmmmmm

Well I could try the Dax and customize it. I would have to take it into town if anything needed welded.

So it looks like I could custom build the four stroke jackshaft and pray.

or

I could get the jackshaft with a 2 stroke. It looks like that would work.

or

I could find something different than the jackshaft by SBP.

What are yall's opinion?

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
i could be wrong...i havent tried it yet...but plan too...very soon..the 4 stroke sbp kit should work with the dax gearbox and titan as long as you get a standard cog (1/8x1/2 bmx chain or 3/16x1/2 415 size chain) for his gearbox as well (spline shaft) it sits the relatively same as the hoot etc...

i currently ride a super titan with his gearbox...pretty excited to get into this idea

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
It's not too hard to find other sprockets for the input of the SBP jackshaft. It uses a standard 5/8" keyed shaft.
I've seen #25 and #35 sprockets in that size at Master-Carr:

17T #25, Part# 2737T118, $6.63
17T #35, Part# 6280K392, $11.32

I don't know how hard it would be to find a different output shaft sprocket with compatible splines for a Dax gearbox, but I imagine #25 would be available.
It's used on many pocketbikes like the 8MM the Daxbox comes with.

TYJesus

Jul 11, 2012
Walla Walla, WA
Okay, I'll try to get some pics up later, but right now. It is going together nicely. I appreciate all of the input because I am going to have to order the different sprocket. I had to drill and mill new motor mount slots to put the engine where Motorbicycling's pic shows it lining up.

If you all could help me pic out the best inexpensive 8mm sprocket to fit on the sbp jackshaft, I would appreciate it. I am learning what the numbers mean. I guess tomorrow I'll work out the gear ratios and stuff... The morning sounds clearer right now.

TYJesus

Jul 11, 2012
Walla Walla, WA
Thank You AleMan for especially giving me the exact gears. Now since I am new to this, what is the difference between a #25 and #35? I am simply looking to get a replacement sprocket that will work with the 8mm chain. Otherwise, I would like it to be exactly the same (two set screws, keyed 5/8" shaft, same thickness...).

Initially, I didn't worry about this because I heard a standard chain should work. But the 410 in the SBP kit won't turn both. I tried whatever type of chain that comes with the bicycle and that didn't fit either. It would be nice if there was a quick link somebody would be kind enough to get me that explain to me how to measure and order different chains (BMX , 1/8" from ?, 410, 415... I am learning here). Thanks for your patience.

What I do have going for me, is I have all of Dax splined gears for the gearbox output shaft (11, 15, 17, 20). So I have a variety of options for gearing. Plus, I have the seven gears from the bike that the jackshaft is providing access too.

TYJesus

Jul 11, 2012
Walla Walla, WA
Also, is it normal for the cartridge or maybe freewheel to make a clicking noise? I put the set screw on the end of the key because that is where the chain alignment looked good and is seemed the key could be farther out to accomodate better centering on the set screw. Or maybe the clicking is in the cartridge or freewheel itself? Both of the sprockets on the freewheel seem to have a bit of play in them. Is this normal? Will it be reliable, or is there some mod?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
Thank You AleMan for especially giving me the exact gears. Now since I am new to this, what is the difference between a #25 and #35? I am simply looking to get a replacement sprocket that will work with the 8mm chain. Otherwise, I would like it to be exactly the same (two set screws, keyed 5/8" shaft, same thickness...).

Initially, I didn't worry about this because I heard a standard chain should work. But the 410 in the SBP kit won't turn both. I tried whatever type of chain that comes with the bicycle and that didn't fit either. It would be nice if there was a quick link somebody would be kind enough to get me that explain to me how to measure and order different chains (BMX , 1/8" from ?, 410, 415... I am learning here). Thanks for your patience.

What I do have going for me, is I have all of Dax splined gears for the gearbox output shaft (11, 15, 17, 20). So I have a variety of options for gearing. Plus, I have the seven gears from the bike that the jackshaft is providing access too.
When in doubt, don't be afraid to do your own research. Chain pitch chart for ANSI chains:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_chain#Chain_standards

BMX aka 410 is 1/8" between inner side plates, 415 is 3/16". Multispeed bicycle chain is 3/32".
Those sizes aren't ANSI, but they are used on bicycles and all have 1/2" pitch.

I haven't been able to find any 8MM pitch sprockets that work on 5/8" keyed shaft. Dax sells different sprockets for the output of his gearbox, so get one of those and use a compatible jackshaft input sprocket. On the previous page for this thread, steampunk says Dax sells a 410 sprocket for the gearbox, so you may as well use that, since it's directly compatible with the supplied sprockets in the SBP kit.

Also, is it normal for the cartridge or maybe freewheel to make a clicking noise? I put the set screw on the end of the key because that is where the chain alignment looked good and is seemed the key could be farther out to accomodate better centering on the set screw. Or maybe the clicking is in the cartridge or freewheel itself? Both of the sprockets on the freewheel seem to have a bit of play in them. Is this normal? Will it be reliable, or is there some mod?
Yes, that is how freewheel mechanisms work. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Freewheel_en.svg

I don't know how much play you're talking about and therefore can't help with that. A very small amount of play is normal.

TYJesus

Jul 11, 2012
Walla Walla, WA
Thank you Aleman.

Previously a #25 or #35 was recommended. But I haven't found anything about those being compatible with 410 or 8mm. Am I missing something?

Thanks Again

Also, the sprocket on Dax site was 1/2" and mine is 5/8" shaft. And it didn't look like it was keyed. Maybe the half inch was referring to the pitch? I'll call him.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Also, the sprocket on Dax site was 1/2" and mine is 5/8" shaft. And it didn't look like it was keyed. Maybe the half inch was referring to the pitch? I'll call him.
That is not the right sprocket and is for a half inch shaft.

Get the 410 1/2" pitch sprocket from DAX for the gearbox and that will work
with the 17 tooth sprocket in the shift kit from SBP

See how the teeth on the sprocket on the gearbox shaft match the 17 tooth
SBP sprocket in the pic. They are both 1/2" pitch for 410 chain

Last edited:

TYJesus

Jul 11, 2012
Walla Walla, WA
Thanks guys. I'll get through to Dax today or tomorrow and order that. I didn't see it on his site. I hope he has it in stock.

I'll post pics when I am done. Your all a part of this build. It is a nice bike and looks good. Thanks again.

TYJesus

Jul 11, 2012
Walla Walla, WA
New motor mount slot positions for sbp jackshaft and Titan CX50S compatibility. The 206mm cranks clear and there is some room for sprocket alignment adjustability.

If you look close, you can see where I removed the old sbp nut that bolts the lower and upper plates together and instead simply used the original slots to tie the plates together with some bolts. The new slots move the engine over to the right quite a bit. Good clearance there.

Oh and that lower plate right side had to be bent straight (underneath) and it will work but the slots are open only on one side, because someday I'll get the equipment to do this properly. For now, this will work fine.

Attachments

Last edited: