No Clutch Drum?!?

GoldenMotor.com

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Is there any real drawback to not using the clutch drum? I am more than likely going to put a solid sprocket on the motor shaft in order to get a freewheel back in the primary gear. Any drawbacks other than starting? I NEVER engage the throttle until I'm going at least 8 mph so no worries there. I just need some insight from the experience here. I am looking to use an 8 tooth on the motor shaft and a 40 tooth on the pulley shaft.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Is there any real drawback to not using the clutch drum? I am more than likely going to put a solid sprocket on the motor shaft in order to get a freewheel back in the primary gear. Any drawbacks other than starting? I NEVER engage the throttle until I'm going at least 8 mph so no worries there. I just need some insight from the experience here. I am looking to use an 8 tooth on the motor shaft and a 40 tooth on the pulley shaft.
Are you asking if you can use a motor without a clutch of any kind?
It would be direct drive with no way to disengage the motor?

Name the bike "Suicide Machine" You will be just fine....:D

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Actually,that's almost what I'm calling it! Schwinn Suicide

But yes sir,direct drive is what I plan on doing.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I'm not trying to scotto. I'm not patient and September Is too far away. The only thing I see the clutch doing is keeping the motor from engaging the drive system. I can outrun a stock 4 stroke with a non-motorized 20"bmx bicycle. I KNOW that it doesn't pull the axle harder than I do. So...what's the drawback?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
And I have asked 3 or 3 times now:Anybody know where to get a clutch drum with a chain sprocket that will work in the 4G tranny.? That's how I would like to SUPPLEMENT the centrifugal clutch Scotto. That is what I prefer to do actually.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
And I have asked 3 or 3 times now:Anybody know where to get a clutch drum with a chain sprocket that will work in the 4G tranny.? That's how I would like to SUPPLEMENT the centrifugal clutch Scotto. That is what I prefer to do actually.
OK, a little more explanation would be helpful. What I gather from the last few posts of your's above, you want the sprocket attatched to the clutch bell that will run a chain to the jackshaft or large pulley as it was? And then a chain from the j-shaft to the rear sprocket?

Here is the clutch bell that will work for that application. Then you have to attach the sprocket (6-12 tooth) into the clutch bell and take it from there.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.2472/.f

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/sc.12/category.27949/.f

And you need not worry about me uselessly trying to offer you some help, you already seem to know everything.

dnut

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Ha-ha very funny scotto. Thanks for the links. I am at my wits end due to this raggedy one way bearing. I apologize fir anything that seems harsh. I get alot people on this site that think they are the only ones to touch a motorized bike and then it just rolls downscreen.

All I really want to replace is the belt drive until I can get the transmission with the 100t pulley/12t freewheel.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Scotto,does that mean that any clutch drum for the "gp460" will work? I see those EVERYWHeRE.

Shows how much I know.

Doesn't it?

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Ha-ha very funny scotto. Thanks for the links. I am at my wits end due to this raggedy one way bearing. I apologize fir anything that seems harsh. I get alot people on this site that think they are the only ones to touch a motorized bike and then it just rolls downscreen.

All I really want to replace is the belt drive until I can get the transmission with the 100t pulley/12t freewheel.
Well then, that bell should work but it uses the 8mm (GoPed size) chain, that is also something to factor in the equation.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Or you can get one of these cheap disposable gearboxes till your boat arrives from China. It has a small chain inside with a freewheel on the out shaft.

It's a cheap alternative while waiting.......$20

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Will that mount on a 5/8 straight shaft motor? And if so,can you tell me where to get it? Please kind sir?
Unfortunately, they won't fit the 5/8 straight shaft motor, only the taper shaft motors. I've got two of these for sale or I think they came from eBay, BGF I'm thinkin.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Dang that sucks man. I talked with agk and they said that basically the max torque clutch would work but would be too heavy for the huasheng 49cc motor. I recently came across an old briggs & stratton 3HP go-kart engine and the clutch drum looks perfect! Now I just need to check it on the 4G to see if it will work. And I believe its #35 chain.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Dang that sucks man. I talked with agk and they said that basically the max torque clutch would work but would be too heavy for the huasheng 49cc motor. I recently came across an old briggs & stratton 3HP go-kart engine and the clutch drum looks perfect! Now I just need to check it on the 4G to see if it will work. And I believe its #35 chain.
That should work just fine. The EZM Q-matics use a Max Torque clutch w/#41 chain no probs. A #35 should work even better.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
clutch drum size prevents you from using a chain clutch drum with a 4g tranny. they 4g clutch drum is a little over 3 inchs, and every max torque and MT knock off clutch has a 4 inch clutch drum. they wont fit.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Hey mooner,ever seen a briggs & stratton 3HP go kart engine? Pretty sure that's the one I need but feel free to tell me why I cannot do this,please.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
If your planning on pulling off the tbelt pully from a 4g tranny and replacing it with a chain driven set up your not going to be able to find a clutch. ive been looking for months, as the 4g tbelt tranny has a clutch opening of just over3 inches. it uses a 78mm clutch drum, which is a diameter of 3.07 inches. easy come come by clutchs, max torque, comet, etc all have a clutch drum diameter of 4 inches. you could make a chain primary using a readily available clutch, but it would require making a custom jack shaft or custom tranny mount like the AGK jack shaft set up.