Schwinn Clairmont 4-Stroke

GoldenMotor.com

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Looking good. Those cruiser frames use a larger bolt for the fender and rack mounts than a typical bike. Most bikes use a 5mm bolt but these cruisers need a 6mm bolt.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Alright fellas, update time (as well as question time)

So I got the motor mount on (it's not quite level, but it's pretty close...is that ok?)

Now I'm thinking about the chain tensioner. I bought a nice one from phantom bikes, but I have to figure out a way to get it to fit. As you can see in the pictures, the loop things that are supposed to hold it on, are too big. I may just have to go see if I can find new, smaller, ones of those, but I'd rather not if I can help it. I thought about using zip ties, but that puts the chain tensioner too close to the sprocket. So...any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I have seen those clamps at Home Depot in varying sizes, I was going to use them myself for making a homebrew chain tensioner, before I went with a spring loaded one.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The mount plate can be a little bit off level front to back, but you want it pretty darn level left to right so the drive sprocket is not at an angle in relation to the rear sprocket.

As for the "P" clamps that mount the tensioner to your frame, they come on a variety of sizes at most hardware stores and are not expensive at all. For mounting a tensioner, stay away from the nylon plastic ones if you can. Stick with the rubber covered metal ones for the sake of durability. If a plastic one fails, it could cost you $$$ in damages and repairs.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
The main body is from a skid plate,a coaster brake arm shaved down,and some shims from a quick release bolt.

Oh,is that a threaded freewheel sprocket on the clairmont? I am thinking about a shift bike and would like to use this bike. Thank you for you time good sirs.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I second Gearnut's suggestions. Also, in the picture you have the tensioner upside down. The narrow part goes on top. I believe you'll need the 5/8" size clamps. That's what I used on my Clairmont but you'll be mounting it closer to the rear than mine so you may need 1/2" since the tubes get smaller to the rear. Don't even think about using zip ties. Also, when you clamp it on you are going to have to play with the orientation of the clamps to make it parallel to the chain since the chain stay and seat stay tubes angle away from the hub to the seat tube. I suggest that with the two bottom clamps, you orient them in opposite directions like in my attached drawing so that it is close to parallel with the chain. Please post a picture once you mount it so I can see how close the pulley comes to the rear sprocket. I'm very curious.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
OK, thanks everyone for your help! I'm going to be out of town for the next week, so it'll be a week from Monday before I post again :/

The reason I had it upside down, was because I think it may fit better like that...I need to mount up the engine and put the chain on first, though, to see :)

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Hello all! After a two week hiatus it's update time again!! :)

You will all be happy to know that The Great Equalizer is finally (almost) DONE!!!!

I was gonna take it for a test drive tonight, but it got dark too soon and I don't have gas, so Ima take it to the streets tomorrow to see how it goes (pics to come as well).

Here's a list of things left to do:
1. Adjust brakes
2. Install speedometer
3. Install mirror
4. Install rear light and put batteries in both lights
5. Replace seat (this @#$! seat won't stop tilting no matter how much I tighten it...also apparently it's a girl's seat, and rather uncomfortable...)
6. Purchase and install dual-arm kickstand (any suggestions?)

Then it'll be completely done!!! :D I'm SO excited!!

Last edited:

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
You're never really done with a motorized bike. There is always some tinkering or upgrading to be done in the future. It's nice when you can finally ride it though. Congratulations.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
My dear fellow MBer's...I have been quite remiss in not showing you the finished work of my labors. (Honestly I've been having so much fun riding it to and from school that I haven't taken the time to get pictures lol)

However here's a video a friend of mine made of my first ride (he's got an odd sense of humor lol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on9cExkOjHc&feature=player_embedded

I've since replaced the seat, and I'm waiting on my next paycheck to get that nice kickstand gearnut showed me :)

Then all I've gotta do is get a second mirror, a springer fork, a front disk brake, a better rear brake, etc. etc. ;) lol!!!

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Awesome video, I LOLed. Glad you are having fun with the ride! I would think about some better protective gear, though. I used to feel guilty for just wearing a bicycle helmet and flip flops when going for shakedown runs up and down my alley ;)

I am definitely liking the wheels!

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
OK, so some serious life issues just cropped up, and I may be needing to sell this bike. (As terrible as that sounds, seeing as how I've only been riding it for like a week :/ )

So anyway...I was wondering what y'all think this thing is worth? (After I get the speedometer hooked up and a new kickstand...)

Here's a parts list:
Schwinn Clairmont
49cc HuaSheng Engine
Qmatic Transmission
Kings 62T sprocket + Top hat adapter
All hardware upgraded
Planet Bike fenders
Cloud 9 contoured seat
(will have) speedometer
(will have) Pirate Cycles Kickstand
Specialized Armadillo Hemisphere Tires
Avenir Thorn Resistant Inner Tubes
Teny Mag Rims
SBP Throttle and Grips
Phantom Bike Chain Tensioner
Planet Bike head and tail lights
Drainzit (not installed)
Wide Pedal Crank

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am sorry to hear that a situation has come up where you need to sell your brand new bike.
If you have all of the receipts, add them up for the build total.
What do you value your labor at?
Keep in mind that the average Joe on the street would rather spend $2k on a motorcycle or scooter.
A motorized bicycle is a specialty niche. You need the right buyer to appreciate all the excellent parts you have invested into your (IMHO) awesome bike.
I wish you the best of fortune either way you go, and that includes whatever it may be that requires you to sell the bike.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I enjoyed watching your build and the various choices you made along the way. It's a shame you won't get to enjoy it much. I agree with gearnut; add up the parts and some amount for labor and see if you get any buyers. Hopefully you find a buyer that appreciates the quality parts you've put into this machine. Good luck and God bless.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
So turns out I won't have to sell it! :D

However the carb started peeing (I think the float got stuck open due to bad gas) and I decided to go ahead and get a new carb cause I was planning to eventually anyway. I'm waiting for it to come in now. (I got the big bore one from piratecycles). I also got a nice kickstand and a new air intake.

Hopefully I'll work on it this weekend (If I get the carb) and I'll update here with pics :)

Now eventually I want to get a Monark Springer fork with disc brake dropouts and put a disk brake on the front end. I also would like to replace the rear brake with a standard length v-brake. I also would like to get a layback seat post and turn the handlebars down.

Oh the customizations to be done... ;)

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
Great video! Glad you don't have to sell it. I went to adjust my clutch cable tonight and it broke off! So it will be next week before I get to ride it again. Bummer! Thank god I have the electric as back up and I actually can get some exercise with it?