Schwinn Clairmont 4-Stroke

GoldenMotor.com
May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
OK, I have everything purchased except a freewheel removal tool and a tube of locktite (both of which I'm getting this weekend :) )

Now I'm just waiting for everything to ship...I'm hoping to put the whole thing together in 2 days...we'll see how that goes! :)

I've been riding this bike as a daily commuter, and Thursday I blew an innertube. Day before yesterday I went and bought a cheap-o innertube at walmart (while I wait for my good stuff to come in), and it promptly blew the next day on my way to work. (note to self: Slime does absolutely nothing!) :/

Can't wait for those armadillo tires and thorn resistant innertubes to come in...NOTHING'S gonna be getting through those bad boys! :)

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Alrighty, time for an update and another question or two ;)

I've gotten in almost everything I need (hoping to get some locktite, zip ties, and a freewheel removal tool sometime tomorrow), and I've started working!

Here's some pictures (pretty poor quality):

The bike as it currently lays:

My HS engine + Qmatic:

One of my new rims with Armadillo tires and thorn resistant innertubes:

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
So here's my question...I got a 62T sprocket and a top hat adapter for it, but it didn't come with any hardware. What all nuts, bolts, and washers will I need? (if anyone has any idea).

Here's the sprocket:

And here's the adapter (There are extra small holes on the sprocket, but the adapter attaches to the big holes):

Also what type of loctite do I need? I know blue, but is it the glue stick looking kind?

Thanks!

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
One other important note: I've decided on a name for this bike!

I'm going to call it The Great Equalizer.

The story behind it:
Many of my friends (including my girlfriend) think that a motorized bike is a death trap. Initially I was thinking of naming it The Death Trap, but me and my friend were talking and he said that since death is the great equalizer, that's what I should name it and so I did. ;)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The glue stick variety of lock tight works fine, but i prefer the liquid version better. IMHO, the liquid does a better job of getting into the nooks and crannies of the threads, where it needs to be.
As for nuts and bolts:
Adapter to hub:
Use whichever bolt size your hub is made for and use ones that thread in as far as possible without bottoming out. Use washers underneath the bolt heads to help spread the load out and protect the aluminum from getting galled. Use loc-tite blue.

Sprocket to adapter: Use the best fitting bolt size along with washers on both ends and ny-lock nuts.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Thanks abikerider!

Also...I went to the bike shop today, and the guy there told me that the sealed bearings on my rims don't need/can't have grease added to them. I saw somewhere else on here somebody talking about removing the dust covers and adding grease. What are the dust covers and how do I remove them for greasing?

Thanks!

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Alright so I went out and bought (most of) the hardware for the sprocket adapter as well as some locktite and zip ties. (Just realized I need to go replace the standard nuts I got with some lock-nuts, as well as buy more washers.) <rant> DANG!! Stainless steel hardware is EXPENSIVE!! </rant>

So after I put the sprocket on and the wheels on, it comes down to the engine (and the crank, but I'll deal with that when I get to it...)

What do I need to do to the engine before I mount it?
I've seen both of these threads:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=12724&page=2
and
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40625
and I also got a hardware kit from AGK.

Are there any other "standard" things I should do prior to mounting my engine?

Thanks!

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I like the look of those wheels! I cannot wait to see how she looks and runs when assembled.

Good luck, and great work so far!

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Thanks abikerider!

Also...I went to the bike shop today, and the guy there told me that the sealed bearings on my rims don't need/can't have grease added to them. I saw somewhere else on here somebody talking about removing the dust covers and adding grease. What are the dust covers and how do I remove them for greasing?

Thanks!
The dust covers are either metal or plastic washer-shaped pieces that fit on both sides of the bearing. If they are plastic then they are pretty easily removed by prying with a miniature screwdriver or dental pick. If they are metal they are difficult to remove without damaging the dust covers. Once removed you can see the ball bearings and they can be cleaned and regreased.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Yepp, I'm planning to! :) Also, since the freewheel is already on the new wheel, I don't think I'm going to regrease the bearings. They should be fine right?

Also thanks maurtis! I'm excited too! :)

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
OK, so I did a little more work on it today. I installed the AGK bolt kit onto the engine (Some of the bolts were slightly longer than the originals [the two bottom case bolts, and the exhaust bolts] but I think it should be fine.) I also adjusted my valves. I need to gap my spark plug...anybody know what the recommended gap is for the NGK plug that thatsdax sells for 4 strokes?

I also started installing my new fenders, but discovered that the screws they provide to screw into the dropouts(? I think...the little "hook" things that connect to the wheel) are too small in diameter. Are there several different standard screw sizes for those threaded holes?

I also realized that I got a whole bunch of stainless steel hardware, when I need grade 8, so it's back to fastenal tomorrow to return the old hardware and get the new stuff. :)

After the fenders are on and the sprocket is on the wheel, then it'll be time to mount the engine!!! :D How should I go about making sure my bike is level so I can get the mount level?

More pics tomorrow (or the day after)!
Thanks again everybody!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The fender bolts on my Point Beach are M5 x 0.8 if that helps you any. The frame is threaded for them at the factory.
As for leveling the mount, I know that my garage floor is level so the bike must be sitting level. I used an angle finder to insure that the engine plate sat level on both the X and Y axis.
My angle finder is similar to this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html

Last edited:
May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
Thanks y'all!!

So after more hardware adventures (Still not getting the right stuff/not enough/other various issues), I think I've finally got the hardware I need.

I mounted up the fenders and bolted the sprocket to the wheel, and put the wheels on. Finally my bike's standing upright again!! And man is she PUURTY!! (If I do say so myself ;))

I'll post more pics tonight...hoping to get the engine mount on before the day's over...we'll see! .spr.

Last edited:

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Can't wait to see it!

I've had a StarFire two stroke on a Clairmont for a year of almost daily long rides, and I haven't had any problems with the frame. Very reliable so far.

.shft.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
So apparently life has a way of getting in the way of things...stupid life! lol

I'll be posting more pics tomorrow...and hopefully actually getting stuff done! :)