Preddy 99 gas leaking from carb???

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've come to expect no surprises and little maintenance from my predator engine, but today after a run of fifteen miles or so I was about to turn into my place when I saw my neighbor and fishing buddy from down the lake, stopped the bike and shut off the engine so we could talk about going fishing this evening. After five minutes or so he pointed to a wet spot under the bike and said, "what's that?" Gas is what it was, dripping at a pretty gopod clip from the carburetor. I saw it was not at the fuel line connection and shut off the petcock valve at the tank, walked the bike home and am trying to guess at what could be wrong. It will not start, won't even try.(Yes the fuel valve was on when I tried starting it.) This motor has maybe 600 miles on it and has been dead reliable, easy to start and smooth running.

Anybody have this happen? Any suggestions?
SB

tn97kouki

Sep 17, 2011
tn
My guess would be your float . Mine does the same thing . I am going to replace it with the one AFG has that they rework .

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was thinking that's about all it could be... sticking. Did you come up with a temporary fix for it? I'll open it up tomorrow for a look. When you get your AGF reworked carb, please let me know what you think of it. I wouldn't mind some extra hill climbing power, too.
SB

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Mine started to leak on my 212 after a few weeks when I turned off motor. When it did, it wouldn't start until I removed the plug and dried it. Started it with the fuel turned off then on when running. Figured it was a small piece of dirt got in the needle & seat.(no filter)
I still turn it off when I shut it off and on after I start it. Haven't cleaned the carb and installed a fuel filter yet, as I'm still building the bike.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i had a similar case with a small generator,i ran carb out out of gas and whatever was caught in the needle must now be in the bowl.it quit leaking.by running it out of fuel,the needle vave opens wide,and when turning gas back on the fuel flushed the particle off the seat.
it would be better if you could at least remove bowl and clean it.
without running a filter,its a crapshoot til you get something in the fuel inlet valve.

if its a four stroke engine,i reccomend changing oil in the crankcase,a flooded carb will wash the oil off the rings and dilute the oil.

also,a severely flooded four stroke will lose compression,a dribble of oil through spark plug hole will restore it. you shold have seen the look on my sons face when i showed him how well it worked on his flooded quad.he fought with it for quite some time.it was priceless.

Last edited: